46: Milady, You Are Really a Heroine

The left panel of the glass door was already damaged. Only half of the panel remained, with sharp, jutting edges that glimmered faintly in the darkness. This was the first time in her life that Lin Sanjiu was this happy to see a public security bureau. She quickly pushed open the door with her body and called out to Hu Changzai, "Quick come in!" At the same time, she kicked away a duoluozhong who was rushing at her. Unfortunately, her leg was nicked. Hu Changzai struggled into the main hall, half stumbling, as sharp buzzing noises followed closely behind him.

"Go look for something to block the door! I'll hold the fort for the moment," Lin Sanjiu held her metal rod to her back while standing at the door. Hu Changzai knew that this was not the time for him to thank her. Dragging his injured leg, he rushed into one of the rooms and pulled out a meeting table. To be honest, while facing the wave of duoluozhongs that seemed to approach like a tidal wave, Lin Sanjiu could feel her calves throbbing. When she saw that Hu Changzai had returned, she kicked away a duoluozhong heading toward the door before jumping through the half-broken door panel. Then, they blocked off the door with the meeting room table. However, even as they propped the table up, they quickly heard banging noises as the duoluozhongs banged their mouthparts heavily against it.

"Oh no, this table is not going to hold... Let's go upstairs! Hurry!" Lin Sanjiu urged. Even though there was no way they could escape by going upstairs, that was the only route available to them. Hu Changzai wasted no time hobbling quickly behind her as she ran to the stairway.

Just when they reached the second floor, they heard a loud bang from the first floor; the table had been violently pushed aside. They both exchanged glances as they felt their chests tighten.

"Let's hide in one of the rooms," Hu Changzai suggested. Bleeding along the whole journey, Hu Changzai's face was now a ghastly white, and he could no longer run any further.

"We might be able to escape by scaling the facade of the building."

'We'll have to go with that.' Lin Sanjiu nodded and stepped into the corridor of the second floor. The first room was the pantry, which didn't have a door. The second room was the office of the census registration department, but its door was already destroyed by something unknown, so it was not usable. She looked around and found a third room with a slightly ajar door that was still intact. "Here!" she called over to Hu Changzai ecstatically before rushing over to open the door.

Unbeknownst to her, there were two gargantuan duoluozhongs in the room. They immediately turned their heads at the same time and stared at her when she walked in. For a brief moment, they both froze on the spot.

The two duoluozhongs were human men in their previous incarnation, and both were above 180 cm. It was clear that they had absorbed countless people, as they had supple skins, well-developed muscles, and mouthparts that looked monstrously strong. Compared to the crowd of duoluozhongs outside, they appeared even more dangerous.

At this distance, if they simply decided to attack with their mouthparts, the two posthumans would definitely die...

However, after just a second, the two duoluozhongs turned back and stared hard at each other without even bothering to look at Lin Sanjiu and Hu Changzai.

'Huh?'

In a blink of an eye, Lin Sanjiu's back was already covered in cold sweat. She composed herself and noticed that both duoluozhongs were glaring at each other with intense malice, with no sign that they would even throw a sideway glance at the two posthumans. There was an overturned office table between the two duoluozhongs, the scattered files on the floor around them were covered in dried brown blood, and... there was also a sun-gold colored choker on the dirty floor. The choker radiated with a warm glowing light, which made it glaringly out of place amidst the desolated, decrepit surroundings. Lin Sanjiu instantly knew what it was the moment she saw it and also understood why the two duoluozhongs displayed such odd behaviors. A sudden flash of a thought invaded her mind, and what she did next shocked Hu Changzai to the core!