41: Let's Get on with Proper Business

Lin Sanjiu inhaled deeply. The cubicle must have been empty for some time because she immediately felt an irritation in her lungs due to the dust in the air. But that was the least of her concerns...

"Seventh? Marcie, can you tell me how many personalities Luther possesses?" she asked, trying to keep her composure.

"Err... Apart from Luther's own dominant personality, he's been diagnosed with twelve other observable personalities. At least, that was before the apocalypse descended..." Marcie's words trailed off as she grabbed her red hair in frustration.

Lin Sanjiu threw a glance at Septimus's idle face, still unable to come to terms with what had happened. "So, how come I haven't met this personality?"

"The other personalities are dormant for now. A personality only emerges when it is about to take on a corporeal form. After the awoken personality 'occupies' Luther's body for some time, it will take on an independent corporeal form... just like me." Marcie tried her best to explain as she looked agitatedly at Septimus. "We didn't mean to keep this from you. We just couldn't tell when the next personality would emerge. Look, I've almost been in this form for 28 months and only now Septimus..."

Taking a sharp breath, Marcie faced Lin Sanjiu directly and said, "Anyway, among all the other eleven personalities, my relationship with this guy is the worst."

Septimus seemed to agree with her wholeheartedly as he nodded his head and added, "We hate each other."

"Huh, why?" Lin Sanjiu suddenly didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"He is genderless, but his personality is the worst! Egotistic, arrogant, and rude!" Marcie exploded, ignoring the fact that the person she was insulting was right there with them. "I don't know how this androgynous fellow can be so conceited!"

'Genderless...' Lin Sanjiu turned to look at Septimus with her mouth wide open, but she was still looking at Luther's face, so she really couldn't tell.

Even after hearing those words, Septimus's expression didn't even change one bit. He—they?—picked the dirt from his nails and retorted. "Biologically speaking, the sole purpose for the existence of two sexes is just for sexual reproduction. Marcie, it seems like you are still hung up on the fact that you lack such functionality."

Septimus really stirred up the hornet's nest when he said those words. Marcie leaped up from the ground, clenching her fist as she got ready to pounce on him. Lin Sanjiu pulled her back hurriedly, words shooting out of her mouth. "That's Luther's body! Luther's body..." It took some effort for her to finally dissuade Marcie.

Before she could breathe a sigh of relief, Septimus interjected, as if eager to stir up more trouble. "Ha. Your ability didn't even progress one bit, yet you still have quite the temper."

Lin Sanjiu now knew why their relationship was so poor—she was at her wit's end. She restrained Marcie, whose face had turned fuming red, and glared at Septimus, shouting, "Cut to the chase and stop this nonsense!"

"Fine, I really do have something to say anyway." Septimus repositioned his pillow against the wall, finding a comfortable position to lean back into before he continued leisurely. "Aside from those unbelievable lies that these Oasis people have spewn, what do you plan to do next? What's your goal?"

His questions stumped both Lin Sanjiu and Marcie. They quickly exchanged glances and muttered unconfidently, "We can stay here for some time, have a look at this place..."

"Since, we are already here..."

Septimus made a dismissive tut-tut sound as a cryptic smile appeared on his face. Despite having the same facial features and even the same body, a single expression from the "Luther" in front of her completely changed his entire persona. Sitting on the floor, he bent over and whispered to the two of them, "Didn't we come here to look for a consular officer? Have both of you forgotten this?"

To tell the truth, even though Lin Sanjiu had not forgotten about their objective, she did not give it any deeper thought. Now that Septimus had brought it up, she found herself speechless.

"But most of the members here are just normal people. Will we even find a consular officer here?" Marcie carped.

"With 1,800 people here, I think it's still worth a try," Septimus refuted. "That is, unless you know where we can find another base filled with only posthumans."

Seething with anger, Marcie refused to speak.

"If we don't find one here, we have to move on quickly." Septimus's tone became resolute when he saw that both women had no objections. "We still have 12 months and 23 days to do this, but we shouldn't waste all our time in the Oasis."

'That's right.' Lin Sanjiu inwardly agreed with him. Septimus may have an odd personality, but she was surprised to learn that he was clear-headed.

Just as she was about to speak, someone suddenly shouted from outside, "Miss Lin, which room are all of you in?" It was Xiao Yu's voice.

Lin Sanjiu lifted the curtains and stuck her head out to look. What greeted her was a narrow snake-like corridor flanked by densely packed cubicles; she had no idea where Xiao Yu was. She raised her voice and yelled back, "Is that you, Xiao Yu? We are at 1734! What's the matter?"

"Executive Chen informed us that someone in your group is not well. I'm here to deliver your dinners," Xiao Yu explained as she walked toward Luther's cubicle, carrying a few traditional metal lunch boxes. She was rather quick, so she reached them in no time. As if she had totally forgotten the unpleasant incident in the morning, Xiao Yu cheerfully handed the lunch boxes to Lin Sanjiu and asked, "Who's unwell? We have an infirmary, so why didn't you go over there?"

Even though metal products didn't melt like plastic under the Hyperthermal Hell's temperatures, they could get very hot. Lin Sanjiu placed the lunchboxes on the bed hastily and thanked Xiao Yu. "It's just a minor condition; he'll be fine once he rests up. Have you eaten? Do you want to eat with us?"

"Nah, thanks for your offer, but I've already eaten," Xiao Yu replied politely. She frowned when she saw "Luther's" smile, probably sensing that something was different about him, but she did not bring it up. Luckily, she did not mull over it but instead smiled at them and said, "After you've finished your dinners, please bring the lunch boxes back to the canteen, then go over to Executive Chen' office. It's in Building 37, Room 306 on the third floor. You will be assigned your duties today."

Lin Sanjiu suddenly recalled what Fang Dan had said to her. She hesitated for a moment then smiled and asked, "Do you know what jobs we'll be assigned?"

She did not know if it was her imagination, but Xiao Yu's smile suddenly turned ambiguous. "You'll find out once you're there."