chapter 20

"Lemon Drop," Remus said. His words were followed by a grinding noise as the gargoyle swung open to reveal the winding staircase to the headmaster's office. 

    Most of the furniture had been pushed against the walls creating a large open space in the center of the office. My six friends and I squeezed onto a long couch towards the back of the room, waiting for the meeting to start. Along with many of the students from the previous meeting there were Hogwarts alumni scattered about the room. 

    "Welcome Everyone," Dumbledore said, effectively putting an end to the chatter in the room. "You all know why you're here so I won't dilly dally with introductions and such. Your presence here tonight tells me that you have all considered the risks, and will promise to keep this a secret from your fellow classmates." It wasn't a question, but everyone in the room nodded.

    "Then, as of today, you are all official members of the Order of the Phoenix." Dumbledore's eyes traveled the room, resting on each person for mere seconds before he continued. "Because you are all still students you will not be assigned missions until after you graduate," The Marauders let out an audible groan at that. "but you all will be practicing advanced defensive and offensive magic. I have invited some of our older members here to help with this process." Dumbledore gestured to the group of people in the corner.

    I spotted Arthur Weasley and his fiancé Molly, Edgar Bones and Marlene's eldest brother. The latter offered us a small wave.

    "Professor McGonagall will also be overseeing your training." Dumbledore motioned to the older witch, who was been standing behind him.

    "We will begin with some more basic, but very useful spells tonight. They will include the impediment jinx, the anti-disapparation jinx, and Orbis jinx." McGonagall said as she stepped forward. She then proceeded to demonstrate the incantations and wand motions for each spell.

    Before long everyone in the room was practicing the new jinxes. Unsurprisingly Lily was able to perform all three of them within twenty minutes, and Peter shocked everyone by performing the impediment jinx on his first try.

    Dumbledore ended the meeting an hour later. He bade us goodnight and issued a final warning not to speak about the Order to our peers.

•••

    "Pete your spell work was impressive tonight! It was almost as if you'd cast the jinx before!" I complimented the boy who was seated on the armchair nearest to Sirius and I.

    "I haven't cast it before, what are you talking about?" he asked. His behavior seemed strange, but then again Peter was rather strange sometimes.

    "Wormtail, she said it seemed like you had cast it before not that you did," Remus said sounding slightly exasperated.

    "Oh- uh thanks Maude," Peter said, still sounding nervous. I brushed it off, he always sounded nervous. And besides we all had plenty of reasons to be nervous.

    "Do you think all we'll be doing is spellwork?" James asked. "I mean it was interesting and all but I was hoping for a little more action at meetings" Lily rolled her eyes at him.

    "The spells we learned will be useful later on, and this seems all fun and exciting now, but the minute we're all out there fighting Voldemort and his Death Eaters it's going to lose the fun aspect," Lily said, softly, just loud enough for our circle of friends to hear.

    Her words brought a much more somber mood about.

    "You're right Lils, this is all happening so fast." I sighed.

    "I can't wait until we can be making an actual difference." Sirius said. In contrast to the shock and sadness I had been feeling the past few weeks, he's has been all anger.

    We all fell silent. The chatter in the common room fell to the background of my thoughts as I stared into the fireplace. Sirius tightened his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into him.

    I had the sudden realization that with everything going on I hadn't written to my mother once. It seemed daunting to write about any of the current happenings, but I knew I should try.

    "Sirius?" I asked.

    "Mhm?"

    "Could I borrow your owl?"

    "Yeah, anytime."

•••

    I looked down at the letter. I had re-written it over and over again, but it was still blunt and depressing. I sighed, I wasn't content with the letter, but I didn't have it in me to write it again. I tied it to the leg of Sirius's owl and opened the window of my dorm. I watched the owl fly away, hoping that the letter would reach my Mum by morning.

    "Hey," I turned to see Sirius standing in the doorway. He walked over to me and placed a quick kiss on my mouth before wrapping one of his arms around me. "This is all so crazy, isn't it?"

    "Yeah, it really is" I murmured, tucking my face against his chest. We stood like that for a moment just enjoying the quiet. Then a thought struck me. "Hey, how do you manage to get up here? Isn't there a charm against guys entering our dorm?"

    Sirius pulled away from me with a smirk and promptly morphed into a large shaggy black dog. He barked up at me happily.

    "Oh right, I forget you can do that," I laughed. In the blink of an eye, Sirius was standing next to me again.

    "There's no spell against male animals entering the dorm, only humans." He laughed and put his arm back around me. "Being an animagus has its perks." I was about to respond when I heard the door open behind us.

    "Oops sorry, didn't mean to interrupt!" Marlene exclaimed, she then gestured towards the common room. "Everyone else went to bed."

    "It's fine Mar, it's your room too. Besides we have classes tomorrow we should go to bed." I then turned to Sirius. "And so should you."

    "What no goodnight kiss?" He asked feigning hurt. I stood on my toes and pressed my lips against his. I heard Marlene mutter something about getting a room, and I pulled away from him.

    "Goodnight Sirius."

    "Goodnight Maude."

20 chapters! that's kinda crazy
anyways i hope you enjoyed this
xx anna