chapter 30

The last few months had flown by as Order meetings became more frequent. The war felt more and more real every day and even in the happiest moments, there were feelings of urgency. I had been dispatched on missions and caught in more than a few nasty skirmishes, so far I had been lucky to escape intact. I had turned 18 three weeks ago, and my already rushed birthday celebration had been interrupted by the death of an order member in London.

I felt more relaxed than I had for weeks as I sat next to Sirius, in the Weasley's cozy living room. Molly's three older boys were running laps around their parent's guests as the New Years' Eve festivities kicked off. On the other hand, the youngest two, the twins, were being passed around the room. One had just been deposited in my lap and his little eyes were darting between Sirius and me. If I'm being completely honest, I wasn't sure if it was Fred or George.

  "Ow!" Sirius called out. The little red-headed boy had taken a handful of Sirius's hair and started pulling on it. The boy just laughed a little bubbly laugh as Sirius tried in vain to push his small hands away.

  "Oh Sirius dear, I'm so sorry about that!" Molly exclaimed rushing over to take the small boy from us. 

   "He seems like quite the troublemaker," I remarked, smiling down at the child.

   "Oh, he is" Molly sighed, "Fred is too!"

    "Sounds like my kind of kid," Sirius said, handing the baby over to Molly, who promptly hurried off to find her other four boys. As I glanced around the living room I noticed that our friends had left the room.

   "Let's go find everyone else," I say, getting up from the couch. Sirius and I successfully navigated the crowded living room, and after almost tripping over one of the children we found our five friends in the kitchen.

  "Were you relieved of baby duty?" Marlene said smirking at us.

  "Yeah," I said returning her smile. "He's is awfully cute though, it wasn't that bad."

  "Who me?" Sirius asked, winking at me.

 "Yeah totally," I said as he wrapped his arm around me. 

"Pads, I love you mate," James grinned. "But you sure have a big head."

"And you don't?" Lily jabbed her boyfriend in the side.

"Oi!" James spun around. "And I thought you liked me?" He was looking at Lily like she was the sun.

"Who said that?" Lily bantered.

"You." Marlene scoffed. 

"Like a million times," I added.

"Even I've heard about it," Peter said.

Lily was blushing. "I guess I like you a little bit, but don't let it get to your head." She kissed James on the cheek.

"You guys make me want to hurl," Remus was grinning.

"Moony if you puke you better clean it up." Sirius laughed. "Molly might cut your head off if you stain her carpet."

"I would not!" The older woman's voice called out from the other room, which sent us all into laughter.

Our conversation was interrupted by a witch draped in green robes.

   "Minnie!" The Marauders yelled in unison wrapping her in a hug.

   "Hi boys," She said smiling at them. After catching up with our former professor we all headed back into the living room. Molly and Arthur had put the kids to bed and a few people had left, so there was a lot more space in the room. Someone had turned on music and a couple of people were dancing.

   "May I have this dance?" Sirius said holding out his hand and bowing exaggeratedly. 

   "What, are we at the school dance?" I jested.

   "Oh, you guys are aging me!" Arthur popped into our conversation. "You're barely out of those damned school dances." He was cut off as Molly dragged him into dancing.

   "I'd love to dance," I said turning back to Sirius and taking his hand.

The music was slow but Sirius spun me in crazy circles all over the room, almost running into the wall a couple of times. A new song started to play and I recognized it as one of Lily's favorites. All of a sudden Sirius stopped dancing.

  "Sirius?" I asked looking up at him.

  "Holy shit, he said he was going to do it, but I didn't believe him" I turned to see what Sirius was looking at and saw James kneeling in front of Lily. 

   "Lily, I've been in love with you since the third year-"

   "I can attest to that!" Sirius said loudly. James glared at him, and I elbowed him in the stomach, but Sirius just laughed. James turned back to Lily and continued on.

    "You've always been the one for me. I love you more than words could explain. Lily Evans, will you marry me?" Lily seemed to be at a loss for words, and tears were pooling in her eyes.

   "Of course, I will," She said, nodding her head. 

James slipped the ring on her finger, stood up, and pulled her in for a kiss. The whole room went up in cheers. I'm pretty sure Remus, Sirius, and Peter were cheering louder than everyone else in the room combined. And Lily wasn't the only one crying, I felt a couple of tears slip down my face, and I think I even saw Sirius shed a tear, After the excitement died down Lily and James slipped outside to have a moment to themselves.

   "5 minutes to the New Year!" I heard someone yell from across the room. Arthur was walking around handing out champagne, and about half the room was watching their timepieces. Sirius wrapped his arm around me as we waited for midnight to hit. At some point, Lily and James snuck back in to join the wait.

  "1 minute left!"

   "30 seconds!"

    "10" We all started counting down in unison. "9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

   "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" I tilted my head towards Sirius and kissed him, before taking a drink of my champagne. The party died down quickly after the clock struck midnight, and soon we were heading back home. 

    When we entered our apartment, I made my way over to the kitchen. I moved to the freezer and pulled out some frozen cookie dough that Lily had made for us.

   "What are you doing?" Sirius asked.

   "Making cookies"

   "But it's the middle of the night."

   "So? It's our house, we can do whatever we want."

    "Whatever we want?" I turned away from the stove to see Sirius smirking at me. 

    "Yes, anyth-" I started to say, but all of a sudden Sirius was kissing me. There was something about the way he kissed me, that made everything else seem insignificant, it was like we were the only two people in the world. I felt the countertop dig into my back, but I barely registered it as Sirius's hands held my face. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him as close to me as I possibly could. Needless to say, we didn't make cookies.