chapter 38

"What happened?" I asked, looking at James's expression and Lily's tear-stained face. 

  "Where's Harry?" James asked frantically ignoring my question.

  "He asleep still," Remus said. "Everything is fine here, now what the hell is going on?"

  "Um, I-" Lily mumbled. She dropped down onto the couch and rested her head in her hands, as though she was trying to collect herself. 

  "There's a prophecy," James said and all of our heads snapped to look in his direction.

  "Those are normally a load of bullshit, why is it a problem?" Sirius asked as James started pacing around the room.

   "It's a problem because Voldemort believes it," James said quietly.

   "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies . . . and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives . . . " Lily recited.

  No one said anything as we all came to the same conclusion, it was about Harry. I didn't even know if there was something to say to my friends, nothing would make Voldemort go away.

  "There is one loophole though," James said, finally stopping his pacing and sitting down next to Lily. "It could be the Longbottoms boy, his name is Neville I think." I felt momentary relief and then immediate guilt. Either way one of the families would suffer terribly.

  "Dumbledore thinks we should go into hiding, with a secret keeper and all," Lily said, softly.

  "Are you going to do it?" Sirius asked, looking at our two friends. 

  "I'm not sure we have much of a choice," James muttered. 

Our conversation was interrupted by a loud knock at the door which caused everyone to jump in their seats. Dead silence fell over the room. No one moved. Not after the things that had just been said.

  "It's Peter!" Said a muffled voice from outside the door. We let out a collective sigh. 

  "Sorry if I scared you guys. I just heard about the prophecy and wanted to check in" He said. 

  "It's fine," James said returning to his spot on the couch. 

"Peter, how do you know?" Remus asked.

"Uh- um Dumbledore," Peter said.

"He told you already?" I said.

"Yeah." His answer sounded more like a question.  "So who's the secret keeper going to be?" Peter asked as he sat down next to Remus. James and Lily looked at each other and seemed to have a silent conversation.

   "We were hoping you would do it, Sirius," James said, looking at his best friend. 

   "Um," Sirius sighed. "I'm not sure- James, can we have a word?" 

  "Uh sure," James said looking confused.

Sirius's POV:

    "I can't be the one to do it," I said the minute we were out of earshot from the others.

    "What in the actual fuck are you talking about?" James asked.

    "Mate you know I'm the wrong choice. I'm too close to the death eaters, my parents have dinner with Voldemort for Christ's sake!" 

   "But Sirius-"

   "No James! You have to pick someone they won't suspect. Like Peter! He would be perfect, we trust him, but he's the last person the death eaters would expect you to pick."