chapter 55

"Okay! Everyone ready?" A slightly agitated Moody called out to the group clustered in the entryway of Grimmauld. The kids responded with a chorus of yes's and many of the adults nodded. We had assembled quite the group of people, the Weasley siblings, Harry, and Hermione, along with five or so order members, all ready to go to King's Cross.

We were about to make our way out the door when a large black dog came bounding into the hall.

"Sirius!" Molly exclaimed. "Dumbledore said no!" Sirius ignored Molly and walked up beside Harry and me, barking as a greeting.

I raised my eyebrows at him as if to say 'Are you sure about this?'.

I couldn't be sure but the look on his face seemed to say 'Not you too.' I knew we wouldn't be able to talk him out of it, so I stopped trying and we all made our way out the door. It was a clear, warm morning, thankfully. We hadn't even bothered asking the Ministry for cars, they hadn't exactly been happy with us recently, which left us walking to the station.

As we made our way through the streets of London Sirius ran around the group, occasionally chasing a pigeon or even chasing his tale. I couldn't help but smile at his antics, beside our occasional walks, he hadn't been outside of the house since we had arrived. Mrs. Weasely was given Sirius a rather annoyed look, but I could tell everyone (except Moody) was trying to hold back laughter.

The rest of the walk passed like that and soon we were entering Kings Cross station. Sirius calmed down and returned to walking near Harry and I. We made our way towards platforms 9 & 10 and passed through the wall one by one.

As we crossed the platform Remus walked away from where he had been speaking to Tonks and found Sirius and I.

"Lots of memories coming back huh?" Remus said, a note of sadness behind his voice. He was right, I remember the first time I had seen the train, meeting Lily and Marlene on the train, first-year Maude had no idea how crazy her life would become.

"Yeah, lots" I agreed, glancing around the platform, watching everyone go about their separate lives.

A whistle blew on the train and students started moving towards the door.

"I think that's your cue," Remus said, turning to look at the kids. "Be careful this year."

"And be careful what you put in your letters" Moody growled. "The Ministry is intercepting more and more owls"

After Moody issued a couple more warnings to Harry and his friends it was time to say good-bye. Molly pulled each of the kids into large hugs and made sure they had everything. After Harry was released he walked over to Sirius, Remus, and I.

"Bye guys" He offered us a half-smile. Remus and I both wrapped the boy in a hug and Sirius barked up at him.

"Make sure to write. Okay?" I asked. "And be careful at school."

"I promise," Harry said. A final whistle blew and Harry rushed off to the train, following his friends.

•••

The kitchen was rapidly filling up. Since our first order meeting, more and more people had begun to show up. Bill Weasely had returned from Eygpt to join the order, Mundugus Fletcher occasionally showed up and to Sirius's great dismay Kreacher had emerged from wherever he had been hiding and often listened in on the meetings.

I was sitting near the head of the table with Tonks on my left and a very sullen Sirius on my right. Ever since Harry had left he had been in a bad mood. His hand was resting on my thigh under the table, it was the only interaction we had had since Kings Cross, the only interaction he had with anyone for that matter.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, leaning towards him.

"Hm?" He must have been lost in thought. "Oh yeah. Fine." I raised my eyebrows at him. "I promise."

I didn't quite believe him but Moody was starting the meeting so I placed my hand on top of his and turned my attention to the front of the room.

"I've just received word from Dumbledore that Harry and his friends have arrived safely at Hogwarts," Moody announced as a way to get everyone's attention. There were some sighs of relief around the room after hearing that.

"There had been no news on Voldy or his Death Eaters whereabouts. We believe they are laying low, plotting, and such. I believe it's in our best interest to do the same." Moody surveyed the room as if he was daring someone to disagree with him. There was silence for a moment.

"I think we should go after him now." Everyone's head turned to Sirius, many people gaping at him.

Debate broke out across the room. It took Moody over five minutes to get everyone calm again. It was quite obvious that almost everyone disagreed with Sirius, including me, but we decided to put it to a vote, simply to please Sirius.

Everyone voted against his idea except Mudungus. This definitely wasn't helping his bad mood. We didn't have much else to talk about as a group and when the meeting ended Sirius immediately left the room. I exchanged a look with Remus and quickly followed Sirius out.

"Sirius?" I called out. I made my way up the stairs, I looked into a couple of rooms, but I was pretty sure I knew where he was. I reached the attic and there was Sirius, glaring out a window. Buckbeak cawed loudly when I entered the room, and Sirius turned to look at me.

"Hey," I said, walking over to where he was standing near the window.

"Hi" He muttered.

"Want to talk about it?" I asked tentatively, trying to gauge his mood.

"I'm just sick of waiting. Everything bad that ever happened to us was Voldemorts fault. Lily and James's death, Azkaban, I could go on and on." His voice was rising in volume as he continued to speak. "We should go after him now before he comes after us."

"Sirius for all we know he's surrounded by Death Eaters. Going after him could be a suicide mission." My voice just as loud as his was.

"But-"

"No Sirius, I'm not going to argue about this with you. Everyone is safe right now, there's no reason to take the risk." I said forcefully.

When Sirius didn't respond I stepped away from and exited the room.

I made my way to the first floor and ran straight into Remus who was on his way out the door.

"Didn't go well I presume?" He asked.

"Not exactly." I groaned.

"I was on my way out, but maybe I should try to talk to him."

"No, it's fine, I think it would be better to leave him alone for now."

"Maude I know he's being a total ass right now, but I think it's mostly because he's sick of hiding away."

"Yeah, I know. And it's just going to get worse now that Harrys' back at school."

"I'll try to drop by as much as possible and I know Tonks is always willing to come by too." I raised my eyebrows at him when he mentioned the younger witch. "What's that look for?" He asked, sounding thoroughly confused.

"Nothing. I've just noticed you've been talking with Tonks a lot recently."

"Are you suggesting something?" Remus asked, a slightly nervous tone in his voice.

"Not at all," I said smirking at him.

"I'm not sure if I believe you," He said, smiling slightly. I just shrugged. "Well, I best be going, bye Maude."

"Bye Remus."

Sirius's bad mood lasted for the rest of the night and when I made my way upstairs he was already fast asleep in our bed.