ten - kitten kisses

October seemed determined to go out with a flourish that year, and so it was that on the 31st, the sun dawned on a perfect, crisp fall day: a Halloween that would convince even the most overprotective of parents to let their children go out. St. Stephen's definitely lacked the buzz of excitement that was wired through every elementary in the area, but there was still the general anticipation--"What are you doing tonight? Whose party are you going to? Are you dressing up?"

Annika and Callie were hanging out with Zayn and Harry, and Louis and Liam refused to tell us what they were planning--it probably involved pranks, though.

When I arrived home, the first concern on my mind was how many episodes of Once Upon A Time I could watch this evening, and the second concern was how much candy I could steal from the bowl without exhausting our supply. 

That changed, however, when Niall texted me inviting me over. For a second, I stared dumbly at my phone, realizing I'd never been over to his house before. And honestly, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go anywhere today. Snuggling on the couch with King in my pajamas sounded really appealing.

As if he could sense my hesitation through the phone, Niall added another text.

From Niall: Trust me, it'll be worth it, get ur butt over here ASAP

After he'd given me his address, I slipped into the kitchen and told Mom where I was headed. She was busy emptying bags of Snickers into a giant plastic bowl shaped like a pumpkin; I helped myself to a handful, stuffing them in my purse. She arched her eyebrows at me. "Who is this Niall, exactly?"

"You don't know him, Mom. I've mentioned him before though."

A frown creased her brow. "You said his name was Niall? Niall who?"

"It doesn't matter; you don't know him," I repeated impatiently. "Can I please go?"

"I guess, but Miracle, he isn't-"

"Thanks," I said hastily, not in the mood for a lecture on proper behavior around boys. My parents honestly weren't super old-fashioned, but they did tend to coddle me.

Honestly, if Mom had told me to just stay home that night, I might've listened. It wasn't often that there were days like this, when she was home early from week, having ditched her work clothes for sweats and her immaculate bun for a sloppy ponytail. A part of me was half-waiting for her to call me back as I slipped on my shoes and coat, but she didn't. All she did was say, "Give me a second to grab my keys and I'll drive you."

We were quiet on the drive to Niall's house. The thing about hardly seeing or talking to your parents most days is that on the days you do have them, you don't know what to say. I thanked her for the ride and was getting out when she said, "Do you want me to come to the door with you? You know, so I can say hi..."

"Mom."

"Okay, okay. Have fun," she said. "I've gotta get back home before we get labeled the nasty house who doesn't answer the door or give out any candy."

"All right." I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "Love you."

"I love you too, Miracle," she said with a smile, and then she was driving away and I was left alone, staring up at Niall's house.

It had a nice, rustic build, with a red brick exterior and a trellis covered in a leafy creeper leaning against the wall. The path that led to the front door was lined neatly with cobblestones, and though the flowerbeds were empty right now, I knew they'd be beautiful in the spring. 

A kindly-looking woman opened the door for me when I rang the bell. She wore a chestnut sweater that smelled like gingerbread and a huge smile. "You must be Miracle!" she said. "It's so lovely to have you; come on in."