17: Double Trouble

Selene kept checking in the rear view mirror of her car every thirty seconds. She was making sure no one was following behind her.

Selene decided to meet the person from the phone call earlier. She had to cut short her early morning nap after Keir dropped her off at her home. It was important to make sure that no one was tagging behind her.

She is supposed to meet outside Downtown, a nearby town called Manassas. It takes almost three and a half hours to drive there. It can be late in the afternoon before she drives back to Downtown. Just thinking about all the travel makes her weary.

Selene hardly had any sleep last night. The short power nap she had early in the morning and the two cups of Keir-made coffee she drank, were the only thing keeping her awake.

After a long tiring journey, she reached Manassas. It was a small mediocre town with a pleasant atmosphere unlike Downtown.

Once she was in the town, it didn't take more than twenty minutes to reach the building. Parking her car in an empty spot, she walked inside the building.

The apartment was a decades old three storied structure that looked dilapidated. The cellar and the first floor was abandoned for the dust to pile up and the ghosts to haunt in the walls.

She pressed the button with the number two on the elevator and waited for the doors to close. After much protest the doors closed and went up with the help of the creaking ropes.

Once at the second floor, Selene didn't wait for the doors to open and pushed herself out of those partially opened doors.

There were two buff men standing on either side of the only door on that floor. Selene gave them a mock salute and went inside.

A few steps ahead, another door made of shiny metal blocked her. She stood in front of the scanner on her left, the machine gave out a soft ping when it matched her iris. The door opened, disclosing a modern version of a tech office, a complete contrast to the building on the outside.

"We've been waiting for you for hours!" An old friend of hers, a man in his late twenties greeted her.

Selene nodded, silently asking him to lead the way. They went inside an enclosed cabin on the left, to which Selene was familiar with since years.

"Ah! Looks like Downtown never taught you punctuality," An old man in his mid forties, sniggered when Selene entered the cabin alongside her friend, Wyatt.

"Why did you call me here?" Selene didn't beat around the bush and jumped straight to the point.

The old man chuckled and sighed in disapproval, "Brusque as always."

A young man standing on the other side of the center table laughed along with him but Selene cut it short with a death glare.

"Is it about the dead clients?" Selene asked. The sooner the discussion is over, the sooner she can get going.

"No but we'll come to that later." The old man stood up facing her and leaned over the dustless table. He smoothed out his already ironed tie and crossed his arms across his grey two piece suit.

"We want more information about Haden," He said, finally speaking up to her likes.

"And this can't be talked over the phone, I suppose?" Selene remarked in sarcasm.

"I'm afraid not. You are being less active over the phone these days. You seldom move out of the house. Either that, or the phone is left at the house." He lifted an eyebrow at her, waiting for her to contradict. She knew they were tracking her location through her phone.