29: Push And Pull

Lifting herself up even though the gravity was working down on her legs, Selene walked out of her house.

She frantically searched her right and left for Keir. To her relief he was walking over the pedestrian path on her left.

Selene ran after him trying to catch up with him. It was past midnight, the street was empty except for some men drunk talking among themselves in a corner.

Keir could clearly hear the footsteps behind him. Even after threatening to kill her didn't work on her as expected. Grunting to himself, he increased his pace.

"Keir!" She called after him.

Keir ignored her and took a turn into the dark alley and ended up bumping into a man.

"Dude! Watch it." The man who he bumped into spat in anger.

Keir paused to look at him, the street lights mildly illuminating his face. The man was a boy a few years younger than him.

"What are you staring at? Huh?" The boy cocked his chin up, challenging him.

Selene watched from behind with a dreaded heart.

Keir glanced at Selene from the corner of his eyes. An idea to send her off popped in his mind.

Keir pulled the boy and placed his knife at his neck. He stood behind him, facing both of them to Selene.

"What are you doing man?!" The scared boy asked him.

Keir whispered deadly in his ear, "Shut up or the next thing out of your mouth will be your blood."

Selene raised her hand and took a step closer to him, "Keir, leave him."

"Go away or I'll cut his neck out." Keir threatened.

The young man whimpered. His fate was sealed between the two strangers he met on this ill fated  night.

"I'm not going away until you and I can talk." Selene stood her ground.

Keir's dark eyes challenged her to stay here and watch him kill this man before her.

"Keir, this isn't you. You don't pick up random people to kill." Selene tried to convince him the other way, "You kill criminals. He's just a boy, leave him." She begged.

He shook his head in annoyance, "Why the fuck won't you stay away from me?!"

She shrugged and gulped the growing discomfort in her neck. "I wish I had an answer to that."

Keir gritted and pressed the knife into the boy's neck deeper.

Selene gasped, "Keir, he's bleeding." she said alarmed.

"Then let him." He gritted and pulled back his knife to take one final slash on his neck.

"If you truly loved me, you will leave him!" Selene yelled, her words tumbling out quickly.

Keir stopped, his hand mid way to the boy's neck. He pulled his hand off the boy's neck and snapped his knife close. Selene and the boy released a breath that they were holding.

Keir turned to the boy sharply, staring right into his soul. "Speak about this to anyone, I will hunt you down to finish my work."

The boy nodded and shook his head frantically before scurrying off.

Once they were alone, Keir glanced at her, she was already looking at him.

Keir took a few steps forward. Selene opened her mouth to speak but her words vanished when he walked past her, ignoring her.