𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟗

McKenna Prentiss | September 16, 2018

Just like my mom had promised, we were in the backyard, sitting underneath the small umbrella that was currently shielding us from the beaming rays of the sun.

She had prepared breakfast, and as soon as I woke up, she pushed me out here, reveling in pride at her set up. My mother could be extra sometimes, and today was one of those days.

"So, do you want to talk about it now?" She asks, and I shrug. I was too emotional, and knowing that if I talk about it, I would just overwhelm myself, and my mother.

"McKenna, did you forget that I am your mother? You can tell me anything, mija. And aren't you forgetting that I was in the same boat as you? So tell me, what are you feeling." She asks, and I take a deep breath, let's just get this over with.

"I just feel lost." I shrug, not really knowing how to voice out what was in my head, so I did the best I could.

"How so?" My mom tilted her head to the side, studying my emotions. I let out a sigh.

"I don't know. I just feel as if everything is happening so fast, or things aren't going to plan. I mean, things were going great with Harry until last night, and now I don't know what to do. We keep going back and forth, but I don't want to let him go. Despite all the hurt we put each other through, I don't think I'll ever love anyone the way I love him. I'm lost because I want him so bad, but how am I supposed to want him when all he does is hurt me?" I managed to let all of that in one breath. My mom stared at me with wide eyes, not expecting me to finally get this off my chest, but I did, and fuck did it feel so good to have this feeling lifted off my chest.

She was quiet, I would be too if my daughter just dumped all of this on me.

"Mija, why didn't you tell me any of this?" She asked, and I shrugged, but she let out a sigh, standing from her seat in front of me, before sitting on the chair next to mine. She placed her hand on top of mine, and smiled softly at me.

"Honey, first of all, why are you thinking that Harry is the only man left in the world?" She jokes, chuckling to herself while I roll my eyes.

"Mom." I groan, which makes her chuckle turn into a loud cackle.

"McKenna, you're 20, turning 21 soon and your acting as if loosing Harry is the end of the world. I know you love him, mija, I can see it in your eyes. But, you haven't even explored half of the world yet." She says, and I slump back into my seat. If I was lost earlier, I was definitely fucked now.

"Do you wanna know why I deliberately chose for you to live with Nan in South Carolina?" She asked, and I furrowed my brows.

"Didn't you want me out of the public eye?" She shook her head, pulling me forward so I was close to her as she speaks.

"McKenna, I wanted you to live a normal life. Like I said earlier, I was in the same boat as you. I got my heart broken by a boy, and Nan told me that it wasn't the end of the world. She told me that in order for me to truly find myself, I had to leave where I had been hurt. So, I went to LA. I got scouted to be a model first, and then became an actress. I soon met your father, and the rest is history." She spoke. My mother had never told me this story before, and I didn't realize that I almost lived the exact same life that she did.

The only reason I thought she wanted me to live with Nan is because she wanted me out of the public eye. Well, I kinda figured out that they wanted me to live a normal life too.