19: A Long Night

"Yeah, sure." I reply, hesitantly.

"Good night, Sara." Sasuke says, leaving so we can talk. I wish he wouldn't.

"Good night. Thank you for all your help." I say.

"Welcome." He replies, giving me one of his winning smiles. "Night, Miguel." He says, as he walks to his room. Miguel just nods.

"What's up?" I ask, warily.

"I wanted to apologize for earlier. For what I heard about your mother. I know it isn't my business. I mean I can't help it. It's like you're screaming in my head, but I am sorry." He rambles, expressing an emotion other than snark.

"It's fine." I interrupt. I mean, it's not, but it's tough watching his turmoil.

"I know it's not." He responds to my thoughts as he is apologizing for snooping on my thoughts.

"That's what I am saying. I'm not snooping. I wish I couldn't hear you. I can mostly control it with other people but with you. It's like you have a megaphone from your mind hooked up to my ear." He huffs.

"Okay fine. I get it. I annoy you. Did you have a point?" I ask, getting annoyed myself.

"Yes." He groans, plopping down in his seat. He motions for me to sit as well, and I oblige. "I wanted to. Well, considering what I heard I just... I don't want you to think you're the only one. I mean, it's not exactly the same." He is saying this all to the table. I sit patiently, waiting for him to form a coherent thought.

He turns to me, a genuinely pained expression on his beautiful face. I have trouble maintaining eye contact with the level of vulnerability I see there. "My mom, she thought I was a demon too. Well not that I was a demon, per se, but that I was born with one. She actually had me exercised." He barks an empty laugh. "You remember that girl I drew? That is my little sister, Anita. She is the only one that treats me like a family member, rather than a burden. Her real name is, Juanita, she hates it when I call her that." He chuckles softly, looking off, a sweet expression on his face as he remembers his sister. It is such an endearing and familiar story; I feel tears threatening.

He waves his hands and turns his attention back to me, breaking his reverie. "You don't even have any siblings. I feel bad for you." He says flippantly. He feels bad for me? My empathy is replaced with irritation.

"Alright, Miguel. How about you stay out of my head, and you won't have to feel so bad for me." I snap, standing and marching off to my room.

"Well excuse me for caring." He calls after me.

"You are not excused." I respond, slamming the door behind me. That guy.

Lying in bed, all alone, I can't help but think about last night and this morning with Ambien. She reminds me of Mia, in a way, while also distracting me from my guilt, especially about Mia. I have always liked girls, but I have never told anyone. I can't imagine explaining to my dad that I'm bisexual. Not that he would disown me. He would just be confused, wondering why I was telling him my porn browser history. He would likely chalk it up to my indecisiveness and say it's just a phase. You must choose eventually. To be with a man or a woman. Does that make it a phase? Does that invalidate my orientation? I do not claim that orientation. Do I invalidate it by doing so? Of everything that has been happening why is this what my mind is so fixated on. I know the answer. Because I want to go to Ambien's room. To hold her in my arms and fall into a deep, peaceful lavender- scented rest, like last night. To wake up to her gentle touch and gleaming eyes. I roll over and will myself to go to sleep.

I feel a ghost sensation of her fingertips on my lips. The sensation travels up my cheek. I bring my hand up to my cheek to wipe away the tingles. My eyes fly open as my hand touches flesh that is not my own. Ambien's dazzling large eyes gleam back at me. She continues her motion, intertwining her fingers into my hair, gazing at me, her lips slightly parted. I let her, studying her soft pretty features, from her button nose to her pink plump lower lip.