2: Runaway Memories

Warning: suicidal ideation, Sexual Assault. This is a long chapter. Please bear with me and if you can't please drop a comment where I lost you. 

Nothing good follows the buzzing.

.............................

"Happy birthday." My guests cheered in unison as I descended the stairs of my middle-class suburban home. Mom was home for my birthday for the first time I could remember, and my parents decided to do it up big, since it was my eighteenth. I approached the kitchen table where my 'guests' had congregated around the food. Cameron, my best friend, gave me a half hug while I awkwardly greeted the people she had invited.

"Hey, Sara." Kyle greeted with a sweet smile on his boyishly handsome face.

"Hi, Kyle." I responded, tucking strand of my brown hair behind my ear while forcing myself to make eye contact. Kyle and I kissed once at a party. Cameron had insisted we were soul mates ever since. It went a little farther than that, but I chickened out. I'm not a prude, just a coward.

"Great snacks." Jacob, Cameron's boyfriend, commented, stuffing another mini taco in his mouth, wrapping his arm around Cameron's shoulders. We were not friends. He was always looking down on me. Like what does he mean 'great snacks'? Are they to pedestrian for the rich boy? Go choke on some calamari then.

"Thanks, Jacob." I replied, doing my best not to sound as annoyed as I was.

"This is kind of a kiddie party." Michelle commented while tapping a balloon.

"Yeah." I laughed. "But can't complain about endless snacks." I popped a mini taco and nudged her playfully.

"I guess," She laughed, elbowing me back.

"Dance Prance Revolve is all set up in the living room." Dad announced. coming into the kitchen.

"You got me Dance Prance Revolve?" I geeked out, only gaining my composure upon seeing who had followed dad into the kitchen. Mia Flores. I go dumb, staring at her chocolate-colored eyes and glossy full rose-colored lips.

"Hi, Sara." Mia greeted, dimples appearing in her soft caramel cheeks as she quirked an adorable smile. She had chin length hair the color of cotton candy. The flavor of the month. She wore a knee length purple dress. Did she know my favorite color is purple?

"Hi Mia. Thank you for coming." I replied too politely, making myself blush.

"I'm going to kick your butt at DPR." Cameron declared, dragging me out of my thoughts and into the living room. She did indeed trounce my butt at DPR. I was too self-conscious with Mia sitting on the couch beside me. Mia got up next and had no such reservations, her pink bob flouncing around as she danced. I smiled up at her admiringly. She gave me a self-deprecating smile and shrug upon her defeat, coming to sit beside me our legs touching.

"Snacks." Mom sang. I jumped in response, pulling my leg away guiltily. Mom offered Mia a snack bowl which she declined politely, looking a little dejected.

Mom offered the chips to me next. I grasped the bowl, distracted by the small frown Mia wore, I accidentally placed my hand over mom's. When my grey eyes locked with her blue one's terror fell across her face. She snatched her hand away, knocking the bowl to the floor.

"Don't touch me!" She screamed at me, falling to the ground as if my gaze had physical force.

I watched dumbly as she clamored to her feet, running from the room into the kitchen.