Looking for the Light

The ground groaned beneath his feet. Inferno rose up past the crumbling and scorching buildings, glass showering the scene as a chorus of screams ripped through the night sky. The flames cast gleaming orange firelight over the city, bathing the once dark area.

Katsuki stood in amongst the crowd of pro heroes, all highly qualified and with several years of experience. Although he'd never admit it aloud, or even himself, he felt a little weak standing next to them. Mixed with an inclination of awe masked beneath that permanent scowl of his.

More cacophonic screams tore through the air and again Katsuki had to fight against every fibre of his being not to charge into the falling skyscrapers melting into the cracked concrete grounds.

"Oi, you have to let me go in there!" Katsuki yelled at the pro hero stood beside him. He towered over the blonde boy, his gaze hard and fixated ahead of him, refusing to meet Katsuki's determined eyes.

"I've told you more times than enough, kid! I am not by any means necessary letting you risk your life right now!"

"Isn't that what a hero's job is?!" Katsuki retorted childishly. Though fairly enough.

"You're too young," he reasoned and rightly so: Katsuki was only seventeen.

"Look old man, I've got my hero licence so that means I can legally do crazy shit like jump into burning buildings!"

The hero sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose between his two fingers. He had originally brought Bakugo out today to teach him how to work as an efficient side kick, not participate in maybe his first real life rescue. He was too young to be a pro hero just yet, even if he did have his hero licence, he'd only obtained it a couple months ago. He's still in high school, he's just a kid in the elder hero's eyes. Too full of energy, too eager to charge into battle and danger recklessly. He hasn't done anything like this really, only practise to prepare for something like this, should the worse come to pass.

"I'm ready! They need saving...those people need my help, Sensei."

The pro hero looked down, meeting crimson eyes so ready and determined to prove he's got what it takes. He knows Katsuki can be a little bit of a handful, his past teachers warned him of that, but beneath it all, the pro sees a good kid. A kid trying his best.

"Okay...but you're not allowed to engage in combat with the villain. Your job is only to rescue the civilians, got that?"

But the blonde boy had already charged toward the danger and inferno. He'd been stood for far too long on the side-lines, forced to hear those petrified screams and not allowed to do anything about it. Too many pros had merely pushed him aside, blind to his determination and talent. Katsuki knew he could come off as a jerk, but all he wanted was to be a pro. For a long time, people weren't sure of that. But after that whole incident with the League of Villains, more started to see beneath his iron walls. Because in actual fact he does want to help people, save them. He's experienced first-hand more times than necessary what it's like to be held prisoner and he wouldn't wish that for anyone not matter how annoying they are.

"Stay back...Deku."

That's why he told him not to come. He didn't want Deku caught up in the mess Katsuki knew only he had to face. He didn't want to be saved, he needed to grow stronger on his own and getting saved only defeats the purpose of that. He didn't want to have to worry about saving them both, he didn't want to risk any more lives than necessary. No-one was going to die for him. Not again.

~

The door slammed shut with a resonating bang, signalling to the greenette of Bakugo's arrival.