Memories

WARNING

This chapter contains graphic (it's not TOO graphic, but pretty unsettling if you imagine it) and mentions of self-harm. If you are not comfortable with this, please skip this chapter.

___

"What're you doing Papa?"

His papa looked his way, a smile on his face.

"I'm practicing. Wanna join Tobio?"

"Practicing what?" said 4-year-old Tobio stepping closer to his papa.

"I'm practicing volleyball. It's really fun, here,"

Kaito handed his volleyball to Tobio. Tobio took the ball in his tiny hands, feeling the rough surface.

"Are you good at it?" Tobio asked, taking Kaito by surprise.

Suddenly, Kaito burst out laughing. "Tobio, always as blunt as ever, even for a four year old".

Kaito hoisted Tobio spinning him around. Tobio giggled.

"Hmm... Let me think.. I think I was pretty good. I did get the Best Setter Award when I was in high school"

Tobio eyes widen, sparkles in them. "Woahh!!! Really??"

Kaito smirked, nodding his head and outing Tobio down.

"Then in that case... I wanna be like Papa!! I'll get The Best Center Award too!!"

"It's best setter, not center." Kaito ruffled Tobio's hair. "And how are you going to do that fi you don't know how to play?"

"Uhhhh... I don't know..."

"C'mon, I'll teach you."

"Yay!! Papa is the BEST!!"

___

"Tobio, why don't you go play with the other kids? I heard they play at the playground around this hour."

Kaito said, reaching a hand to hold Tobio's shoulder. He was sick again, it practically came every month.

Tobio shook his head, volleyball in his hands.

"I want to keep Papa company! Since Papa is always sick, I thought you would be lonely..." Tobio's cheeks went red out of embarrassment.

Kaito smiled, ruffling Tobio hair.

"Papa!! I told you not to do that anymore!!" Tobio pouted, blowing the hair out of his face. "I'm a big boy now!!!"

"Oh are you now, Tobio? You may be a big boy, but are you a strong boy?"

Tobio thought about it for a second.

"Yea! I can carry my own backpack!"

"That's not what I meant."

Tobio tilted his head, confused.

"You have to be kind to others, don't let them discourage you."

"You", Kaito pointed to Tobio's chest, where his heart is, "have to be strong here, in your heart. Be strong for me, ok? I can't be strong for you now, but I'll always be watching over you, ok?"

Tobio scrunched his brows. "What do you mean you aren't strong. Papa is the strongest person I know?"

Kaito let out a laugh, it sounded odd to Tobio. It was... sad.