Kabanata 22

______________________

XXII - Again

______________________

With only an ill grip of my consciousness, I saw blurred figures. The lights were changing and the shadows were constantly shifting. I groaned.

"H-help," I said but choked on the word. It was enough to get the attention of one of the blurred figures.

"Miss, kapit lang. Nasa ospital ka na." The voice was soothing like a lullaby but it wasn't enough to make me calm down.

I tried to move my arms to reach for them but they held me in place.

"Baby," I croaked, hoping it was audible enough.

"S-save my friend's baby." I hope I was able to say it completely.

I heard the people conversing, determining maybe what I said.

Napapikit ako nang makaramdam muli ng sakit bago nawalan ulit ng malay.

Mommy was singing happily as she drove the car.

"Mommy? Do you sing that too when I was still in your tummy?"

Mommy glanced at me with a smile on her face before concentrating on the road.

"Of course, baby. You kicked inside my tummy every time I sing a song."

I looked at her with excitement. I peeked at her stomach. It was already big. It had been my hobby to put my ears on it and listen to my baby sister inside. At that moment, I wanted to do the same but I have to be in the backseat. They don't allow kids in front of the car.

"Is she still not coming out?"

Mommy laughed. "Three more months and we'll welcome her in this world."

"Amelie will be beautiful like you, Mommy."

"Just like her older sisters too."

I smiled. Mommy stopped the car in front of a local store. We were in town to buy some supplies. Ahira was left behind because she napped while I joined Mommy since I couldn't sleep.

I watched Mommy buy some items as I sat in the backseat. When she was done, she put the bags at the back of the car. The store owner, a friendly stout but beautiful woman, helped her with the bags and even smiled at me.

She got inside the car and looked behind at me.

"I got you a little something too," she said as she showed me ice cream in a nice container cup.

I looked at her with excitement as I reached out my hand for it. Mommy chuckled as she also gave me a spoon.

"Be careful not to spill, okay," she said before she started the car. I nodded at her.

I was busy eating my ice cream while Mommy was driving. The car window was open and it was breezy during this time in Barcelona. I smiled and reached out my hand. I looked up at the sky above. The sun was shining brightly and there was only a trail of white clouds scattered in little portions. I closed my eyes and felt the opposing warmth and coolness.

"Athaliah!" Mommy snapped. I opened my eyes and saw her hand reaching out for me.

"Don't put your hand out, please! You might – "

My eyes widened as I saw the road ahead. There was a car coming and we were on the same line.

"Mommy!" I shouted.

Mommy looked back in front just in time but it was not enough time for her to maneuver the car away. We managed to not hit the coming vehicle but as a consequence, the car swerved on the side and hit a tree. It was a powerful impact.