Chapter 25

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to LiamOhWot because I very much enjoyed her silly comment :D

Sorry it took so long to update, but I have been extremely sick D: MY MEDICINE TASTES LIKE DEATH, BLECH!

The song is on the side :D LISTEN TO IT :D

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, and those affected by the Newtown shooting <3

~Grace xx

---------------------------------------------

***Zayn's P.O.V.***

"But first," I continued, "We have a song prepared."

As I motioned for Niall to pick up the guitar next to him on the ground, Elena's eyes widened.

"Wait, what-"

"Merrily we fall out of line, out of line," Harry cut her off, "I'd fall anywhere with you, I'm by your side!"

"Swinging in the rain, humming melodies! We're not going anywhere until we freeze!" Louis picked up where Harry left off.

"I'm not afraid, anymore!" We sang together in the chorus, "I'm not afraid! Forever is a long time! But I wouldn't mind spending it by your side!"

"Carefully we'll place our destiny," I sang, looking her straight in the eyes, "You came and you took this heart, and set it free! Every word you write or sing is so warm to me, so warm to me! I'm torn, I'm torn to be right where you are!"

"I'm not afraid, anymore! I'm not afraid! Forever is a long time! But I wouldn't mind spending it by your side!" We repeated again, together.

Niall then started singing, "Tell me everyday I get to wake up to that smile! I wouldn't mind it at all! I wouldn't mind it at all!"

"You so know me," Liam sang soulfully, "Pinch me gently. I can hardly breathe!"

"Forever is a long, long time! But I wouldn't mind spending it by your side! Tell me everyday I get to wake up to that smile! I wouldn't mind it at all! I wouldn't mind it at all!" All five of us finished singing after the last chorus.

Elena stood right in front of us, a smile stretching across her features, a certain glimmer returning to her once saddened eyes.

"Was that really necessary?" She asked, giggling, looking around, to see if anyone was staring.

"Yes, in fact, it was." I replied with a grin.

"Now, those questions?" She inquired, raising an eyebrow, her smile fading.

"Of course," I responded, "Where should we go?"

"Why don't we just stay on the beach? It won't get much darker for a while." Elena replied, so we all took seats on the shore, feeling the cool mist float across our faces.

"What would you like to know?" Harry asked.

"I guess we'll start out with the obvious questions," Elena said, pulling up her knees, and wrapping her arms around them into a more comfortable position. "Why are you here?"

"Why are we here?" Niall repeated, not sure about what she meant.

"Yeah. Why is a famous band spending their summer in Duluth, Minnesota?"

"Well," Liam began to answer, "Starting at the end of the summer, we have a U.S. tour for about 4 months. We decided to make Duluth kind of like our headquarters, where we go when we don't have any concerts, or signings in the states."

"But why here?" Confusion was easily heard in her tone.

"Because anyone, especially our fans, would guess we would stay in some largely populated city, like New York, or Las Vegas. No one would think we were here, so we can stay hidden from prying eyes."

"Oh..." Understanding flashed across her features. "But why has no one recognized you yet? You've been walking around the city for weeks, and no one has said anything."

"All of our fans still think we're in England," Louis explained, "So none of them are on alert, and even if they did see us, they probably just thought we happened to resemble One Direction."

"Why did you guys decide to become my friends?" Elena asked after a moment, her tone somber.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"You all could have easily just thanked me and left. It wasn't necessary for you to stick around..." Elena's head turned downward, and her eyes inspected her shoes like they were the most interesting thing in the world.

"We wanted someone like you around us; We liked you," Niall said, trying to explain in a way she would understand.

"You liked what I did, not who I was." She mumbled, doing anything to escape making eye contact with any of us.

"That's not true," I spoke with certainty, "You saving me had nothing to do with our friendship. Sure, it was how we met, but when we looked at you, we didn't just see a hero; We saw a girl, a wonderful girl. We're lucky to have a friend like you."

My short speech had a grin exploding on Elena's face. I hoped she believed what I said; I hoped she saw what I saw when I looked at her.

"What are all of your full names? I've just always wondered that," She asked, followed by a small chuckle.

"Harry Styles," We went around, sharing our names.

"Louis Tomlinson,"

"Niall Horan,"

"Liam Payne"

"Zayn Malik," I finished.

For a moment no one spoke. I'm pretty sure that we all knew the question that was hanging in the air.

"Does this... Change anything?" Louis asked, his voice near a whimper.

Elena closed her eyes in deep thought; Like she was fighting an internal battle.

"Not if we don't want it to." She finally spoke with confidence. "Knowing who you boys really are doesn't make me feel any different about you."

"So we'll go back to how we used to be?" Harry inquired with a hopeful tone.

"Sure," Elena replied with a relieved smile. "It's getting kind of late," She continued, looking across the water at the sun that was going down, "We should go back to the hotel."

All six of us silently got up, and walked back to the hotel without saying a word; We just enjoyed each others company.

At one point during the walk, I realized something; We had Elena back. I had Elena back.

And with that realization, a new determination set in; I would never risk losing her again.

Soon, we were standing outside the door of Elena's room.

"I'm pretty tired guys, it's been a long day. I think I'll go to bed early. Talk to you tomorrow?"

"Promise?" I asked, and she smiled.

"Promise."