Fate

Note: Follow closely to Season 2 Episode 9: The Last Word.

--CM--

Prentiss stands in front of the office. Aaron Hotchner. Why does the name sound so familiar? She shakes her thoughts aside and knocks on the door.

"Come in."

"Hi. Agent Hotchner?" Shit! Shit! Shit! This can't be him.

"Yes."

"Hi... I'm Agent Emily Prentiss." Look up, please.

When Hotchner finally looks up from his paperwork, a look of recognition passes through his eyes, "How do you do? Oh... You're Ambassador Prentiss' daughter, right?"

"I did security clearances for your mother's staff. It was one of my first commands... I believe you were off to Brown at the time."

"Actually, it was Yale."

"Ah."

"I've been an agent for almost 10 years now," Prentiss said.

"Don't tell me that. Has it been that long?" Hotchner asked.

"Apparently, Sir."

"Good... Is your Mother well?"

"Yeah, yeah. She's great." Prentiss replied.

"Excellent. What can I do for you?" Hotchner asked.

"Well, I guess I was hoping you could tell me where to put my stuff," Prentiss replied.

"I'm sorry?" Hotchner asked.

"I'm supposed to start here today... at the BAU."

"There's been a mistake," Hotchner said.

"I don't think so, Sir."

"There's definitely been a mistake. I didn't approve this transfer, Agent Prentiss."

"I'm sorry for the confusion, but you've been misinformed. Excuse me. It's very good to see you again." Hotchner said while he stands up and walks out of the room.

Prentiss followed him and stood by his office door.

"Did you approve any transfer?" Hotchner asked a man who wore a formal brown shirt.

At least this team dresses like agents. All business, good. Prentiss thought to herself.

"No. I would've discussed it." the man replied.

"That's what I thought, Gideon. But she's got the paperwork to join the team."

"You want me to make a call?" the man asked.

"No, I'll look into it," Hotchner replied.

After almost 14 years of zero contact? Hotchner couldn't believe that fate would bring them together this way. She looks like she only aged a little and he can still remember the sound of her voice as clear as though they met yesterday.

'She is... still beautiful though... And her voice... it's so addictive... Stop it Hotch! You're a married man now! Whatever you had with her was 14 years ago... How do you know it's 14 years? You kept track, didn't you?'

"Hotch... Hotch... Earth to Hotch!" he snaps out of his thoughts on Morgan's voice and looks at his team.

"You know the phrase 'earth to someone' is an etymology..." Reid rambles on.

"Reid! Stop!"

"You okay there, Hotch?" JJ asks.

"Yeah. Please continue, JJ." Hotch replied.