Chapter 3

Almost subconsciously, the man took Yu Luotong's left hand and tugged at his side, obviously declaring ownership.

Yu Luotong is not aware of the subtle atmosphere right now and happily invited Song Yan to sit opposite them. He then turned to the man beside him and said, "David, this is the Brother Yan I mentioned to you, Song Yan."

Then he said to Song Yan, "This is David, um... my partner." 

David raised his eyebrows, smiled, and extended his hand to Song Yan. "Hello."

Song Yan's previous speculation was confirmed and his heart gradually cooled. 

He originally thought that if he reunited with Luotong this time, as long as he worked hard, they would still have a chance of getting back together. He didn't expect that a rival would appear halfway through.

Although he didn't want to shake hands with this person, Song Yan tried to maintain his decent image. He shook David's hand briefly and asked, "Which country are you from?" 

"Chinese-American." Yu Luotong explained, "I met David after I went to the United States. At the beginning, I was not familiar with the place and language. He helped me a lot. After some time, we just..."

Song Yan interrupted him, "Why were you the only one in City C a few days ago?"

"I had an argument with David before," Yu Luotong looked a little embarrassed. "I ran back to this country on my own impulse. David chased all the way to City C, and then... we reconciled."

When David heard this, he patted Yu Luotong's head a little bit fondly. 

Yu Luotong continued, "By the way, Brother Yan, I heard that you are with Xia Lin. Why didn't you ask him to come along?"

Song Yan did not expect that Yu Luotong would mention Xia Lin with such a familiar tone and answered with, "I broke up him." 

"Broke up?" Yu Luotong was startled and didn't know how to react.

Song Yan was silent for a moment, ignored David's presence, and bluntly said, "Luotong, you should know my feelings for you best. At the beginning, he lied to me that you died in a foreign land and that your corpse wasn't found. It was so painful that I could hardly survive. I... I... I can't forgive him."

Yu Luotong looked at Song Yan for a long while before murmuring, "Xia Lin... didn't he tell you? 

Song Yan was surprised. "Tell me what?"

Yu Luotong pursed his lips. After hesitating for a moment, he said, "It was a lie that I asked him to help me round up." 

Song Yan stood up abruptly and stared at him.

"What did you say?"

Yu Luotong was taken aback and shrank into David's arms. David immediately grabbed Yu Luotong's shoulders and casted a warning look at Song Yan. 

Song Yan also realized that he had frightened Yu Luotong, but his mind was in chaos at the moment. 

He stood there for a while before sitting back slowly, holding his forehead and asked, "What happened?"

Yu Luotong took a sip of coffee with lingering fear before slowly telling the story.

"Brother Yan, I really liked you before. When you told me that you came out to your family for me, I was both moved and scared. . . You are the only seedling of the Song family and the only heir to the Song Group. How could your family let you go like this. Later on, when you were arranged by your family to go to the UK to study, your grandfather came to me."

Song Yan leaned forward, "What did he do to you?" 

Yu Luotong closed his eyes. 

"Your grandfather just made me realize the disasters I'll bring if I insist on staying with you... I can't be so selfish, let alone make myself a burden to you."

Song Yan sighed helplessly. "Luotong, you are too innocent and kind. He was just scaring you. If we really wanted to be together, he can't do anything to us. Look at me and Xia Lin. Together, although we have paid the price and the living conditions are not as good as before, we are still alive and well."

Yu Luotong smiled bitterly. "How can I compare to Xia Lin? He has his family backing and I have nothing." 

Song Yan was silent. Yu Luotong was right. Xia Lin was stronger than Yu Luotong in every sense, so he dared to come out in front of the two big families, but Luotong could only escape.

"So, was my grandpa the one who orchestrated your fake death?"

 Yu Luotong nodded. "Your grandfather said that with your character, you will definitely not break up with me easily. Only if I die can you completely stop pursuing me."

Song Yan dropped his head and fell into silence.

Yu Luotong added, "I originally promised your grandpa that I would never show up in front of you again. But then, I heard that you were with Xia Lin and your grandpa isn't embarrassing you anymore. That's why I sneaked back to the country. I didn't expect to run into you when I went to City C. At that time, because I happened to have an argument with David, I wasn't in the mood to talk to you. I didn't expect you to quarrel with Xia Lin. It is my fault."

Song Yan grabbed his hair a little distractedly, and lowered his head to comfort him dejectedly. "I don't blame you, but I have a bad temper..." 

He suddenly remembered that yesterday afternoon he could not help but slap Xia Lin and his heart plunged.

He couldn't remember Xia Lin's expression at that time. He only vaguely remembered that Xia Lin seemed to try to explain to him, but he didn't have the patience to listen. 

Thinking about this, his heart became more irritated. Once his hatred for Xia Lin was lost, he was full of guilt.

He slammed a large glass of beer, then stood up and said, "I'm sorry, I'll leave first." 

He walked out of the bar quickly. The night breeze blew by and his mind suddenly became clearer. He wandered around in front of his car for a few steps, feeling empty in his heart and not knowing what to do.

Before, every time the two quarreled, Xia Lin lowered his head first. But this time, it may be a bit difficult to wait for Xia Lin to lower his head first. 

After hesitating for a long time, Song Yan plucked up the courage to send a WeChat message to Xia Lin.

"Where are you?"

Song Yan waited for several minutes but there was no reply. 

He finally couldn't bear it and dialed Xia Lin's phone number directly. After two beeps, there was a cold reminder —Sorry, the number you dialed is not available.