Chapter-6

-Training ground three, the morning before the Chunin exam finals (Flashback).

Naruto was having second thoughts about the fight. He doubted himself. He didn't know if he could defeat the Hyuga prodigy, after all he was the strongest genin. He had come here to clear his mind; he knew that he could not train before a fight as wasting his stamina would decrease his chance of winning. He was currently leaning the wooden pole where he was tied during Kakashi's bell test with his eyes closed. He was so busy thinking that he did not hear the platinum blonde Yamanaka approaching him. She leaned on the pole next to Naruto's while looking at him.

"You know, Ichiraku ramen has special discounts because of the Chunin exams. I thought you'd be there." Ino said smiling.

Naruto slightly jumped after hearing her voice. He was surprised to see her as he didn't sense her coming. He composed himself before replying."I am going to Ichiraku later, before the fight. Can't fight on an empty stomach now, can I?"

"Hey, you seem down...Something on your mind?" Ino had noticed the grimness in his voice.Naruto gave a small nod."Just worried. What if can't defeat Neji, I mean I promised to beat the crap out of him but what if I am not strong enough?"

"But you will Whiskers, you have trained hard for the past month, and if there is anyone who can defeat him, it's you. Just believe in yourself. You know, having confidence is winning half the battle."

"But how can you be so sure?"

"Because I know that you will give it all you've got. Because I know that you will rather die than give up. Because I believe in you and I believe that you will find out a way to defeat Neji."

After Ino said those words, Naruto felt all the doubt he had earlier disappear. Those simple words gave him confidence that he had longed to find. He now believed that he could and would defeat Neji. He pulled Ino into a hug and whispered in her ear. "Thank you Ino-chan." While burying his head in the crook of her neck.

Ino was surprised when she felt Naruto hug her. As soon as she felt his breath on her neck, she blushed a shade of crimson that she didn't even know existed. Unable to form words, she simply returned the hug.

He suddenly broke the hug, much to Ino's disappointment, and jumped on one of the wooden pole and then shouted."I am going to beat the crap out of you Neji, so you better be ready, dattebayo! You know Ino-chan, I'm heading towards Ichiraku now, you wanna come? My treat, for cheering me up."

"There's the loud mouthed unpredictable knucklehead ninja I know, you better beat the crap out of him, he's always going on about fate and destiny, I sometimes prefer the whole 'Lee' and 'Gai-sensei' drama over his meaningless rants." She then looked at Naruto with an apologetic smile."Sorry Naruto, I need to meet team in ten minutes, we are going to the Chunin exams together."

Naruto shuddered at the mention of the youthful duo and frowned a bit.

As soon as Ino noticed his frown, she replied," don't think that you're getting out of treating me"

"No, of course not. Actually after the Chunin exams, I'll take you out on a date I promise!" Naruto accidently replaced the word treat with date. As soon as he realized what he said, he slightly blushed. The tips of his ears became as red as Sasuke's Sharingan.

As soon as Ino heard what he said, she blushed a bit before responding."Y-Yeah, and it better be someplace other than Ichiraku, we have gone there so many times that I've lost count. I don't want to just sit there until you finish your fifty bowls of ramen while people stare at us" she slightly pouted. She gathered all her courage and pecked Naruto on the cheek and said, "I need to go, but I'm rooting for you Naruto, I hope you win." With that she left him alone with his thoughts.