1: guess you're still obsessed with me

Driving through the streets of Figure Eight felt beyond strange, I'd only been gone for a year, but it felt like a lifetime. 

My eyes were glued out the window staring at the palm trees that lined each street filled with borderline identical white mansions filled with families too similar to my own. 

Despite how much I hated my life here in the Outerbanks denying the sheer beauty the island held was something I could never do. It was the island I fell in love with as a little girl and thankfully got to call my home.

Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.

It felt so familiar yet unknown at the same time staring up at my home, not that it felt very much like one. 

Once thanking the driver I latched onto the handle of suitcase and took a deep breath. This was it. Home. I was back after a year long hiatus and had no clue what to expect of my return. It was typical my beloved parents couldn't burden themselves to pick me up from the airport after not a single visit over the last year...I would be lucky to have a 10 second phone call and were praised for being "perfect" parents. 

Then again I shouldn't expect much from them anymore, I stopped years ago after watching my hopes fall every single time I relied on them for anything. It was reassuring in a sense to know things haven't changed a single bit.

I took the time to stare at my house with my various suitcases standing in the dirt beside me, I dreaded walking forward just as much as I dreaded seeing my parents. The last time I'd spoken to them was many months before and even then it could barely count as a conversation.

They simply didn't care enough to check up on the daughter they sent away to boarding school 2,648 miles away from the only place I've ever called home.

I also couldn't forget the certain kook king I was planning on avoiding like my life depended on it. Last summer Rafe Cameron left me heartbroken, I had no urge to see his face again and re-live the hurt he caused. 

But I knew I couldn't stand here in the driveway forever so I walked towards the white mansion I always admired. Despite my family inside I loved my quiet house on the beach, I found it useful having the beach on my doorstep, it meant quick and easy access when I needed a break from my dysfunctional family. 

It was my safe haven for when my emotions became all too heavy to carry.

Standing outside the door I had no idea what I would be walking into, or what reaction I would get. But I took a deep breath and swallowed my pride as I swung the door open revealing our large and awfully bland entryway.

"Hello!" I screamed but hearing no noise or movement throughout the house I stepped further inside. 

"It's Willow!" I screamed again standing in the living room looking towards the wide windows that showed the white sand and the crystal clear water of the beach I'd missed more than anything.

"Is anyone home!"

"Willa!" I heard being called from behind me, I whipped my head around to see my older brother Spencer Baldwin.

"Spence!" I yell rushing towards him as he quickly wrapped me up in his arms. This was the closest to home I'd ever get, in the comfort of my brother's embrace. 

"It's so good to have you home" he beamed stepping away. I couldn't help but smile at his words.

"It's good to be home".

"God I feel like I haven't seen you in ages" he shook his head moving his eyes up and down, "You've grown"

I smile softly, "It has been a year, it happens," I shrugged my shoulders.