Chapter 23: Kukulkan

[10:15]

"I must say, this progress is inconceivable." The strange snake floated around Zuri as it peered at an injured Corridor Guardian that clutched her chest with a pained expression. "To think you would defeat the eight plane's Corridor Guardian so quickly. I dare say I can understand the shamans' shock."

A massive crowd hovered around the Eighth Plane's Air Corridor, staring in silence and shock at the pair of monsters who stood victorious over their respective guardians.

"Heh, as expected of a Sixth-Tier Elementalist. Indeed, Zuri is the best!" A panting Somo wiped the blood leaking from his lips as he viewed Zuri with worship in his eyes. 'Kyaa! As expected of the girl I chose. Work hard, Somo. You can't let her leave you in the dust!'

"Hehe." Zuri's lips blossomed into a bright smile. She bashfully accepted the various compliments. "Birdy Brat's pretty strong too. Zuri will work hard!"

'I'm still Birdy Brat?' Somo's lips twitched, but he rapidly shook his head. Fair enough, it was his fault for making a bad impression. He resolved to keep working hard to change Zuri's perception of him.

Zuri, ignorant of Somo's mental state, turned to look at the Corridor Guardian, who, although still clutching her chest, had risen to full height. Zuri learned how to control her strength from the previous floors. So, although the Corridor Guardian was hurt, it was nothing serious.

Proving this point, the Corridor Guardian fished out a bottle from her pouch and swiftly drank its contents. The Corridor Guardian smacked her lips at the bitter taste, but her complexion rapidly improved, showcasing the potion's efficacy.

Seeing the Corridor Guardian's recovery, Zuri pointed at the Air Corridor and asked, "I can pass through now, right?"

"W-wait a moment." The Corridor Guardian hesitated. "The ninth plane is sensitive, as it is directly related to our species' survival. You need to complete the necessary background checks and get the shamans' approval."

"Background check?" Zuri inwardly panicked.

"Yes. It will be short and quick, I promise. We just need to confirm your recommendation and birthplace to ensure you do not have any ill intentions."

"Well, I—"

"Let them pass, Ingrid." An aged voice suddenly spoke when Zuri hesitated.

The trio turned around to see a regal avian descending from the skies.

The avian, who looked to be in his late sixties, revealed a reverent gaze as he looked at the floating snake by Zuri's side. "Great Kukulkan. You have awoken from your slumber at last. Is this the champion you have awaited all this while?"

The snake revealed to be Kukulkan shook its head. "I am as of yet unsure. But, I sensed an omen on the winds, and have thus awoken. Perhaps the truth shall reveal itself on the ninth plane."

"Chief!" Ingrid, the Corridor Guardian screamed and immediately bowed her head, not daring to meet the man's eyes. "I-I didn't expect you to come personally, Chief Huna."

Chief Huna softly smiled. "This matter just happens to be that important."

Zuri's gaze narrowed, and she instinctively adopted a defensive posture as she glared at the chief. Her feathers and hair stood on ends, affected by the man's oppressive presence. This level of natural pressure exceeded what she felt even from Kashi! It was like this man could destroy her with a sneeze.

If Kashi were present, he would have recognized that pressure. It was the signature oppression of a Transcendent who had reached the level cap.

"Your instincts are praiseworthy." Chief Huna viewed Zuri's defensive stance with undisguised praise. His eyes then bore a mischievous glint as he turned to Somo. "Did you have fun with your master? I bet you could not wait to show off your talent."