Chapter 39: Spider Queen

Domains were the manifestation of a Transcendent's will and power. These powerful abilities set Transcendents apart from non-Transcendents, and were the real reason why most non-Transcendents could not fight Transcendents even if the level gap was minimal. Domains functioned by saturating an area around the wielder with certain laws that sometimes twisted the very fabrics of reality.

Domains came in thousands of varieties, but they could be broken down into five major categories: Elemental, Physical, Mental, Cosmological, and Unique. Elemental Domains contained traces of fire, wind etc. Physical Domains augmented either the wielder, their allies, or both, and sometimes debilitated enemies. Mental domains dealt with illusions and other mental attacks, and Cosmological dealt with higher concepts like space, time, and gravity. Finally, Unique Domains comprised some special domains that didn't fall into the major four.

The worst part of fighting a domain user was not knowing the rules that governed the domain. Without that information, it was very easy to fall into an abyssal trap without ever knowing it. This was even worse when facing someone with a Unique Domain.

Kashi's brows furrowed as Alia kicked off the boulder, and launched straight at him. He jumped back, intending to put some distance between them until he figured out her abilities, but he suddenly felt something strike his chest. The impact was almost negligible, like a soft tap with a finger. On a normal day, Kashi might not have even noticed it, but his nerves were on full alert, so he was instantly alarmed.

Every warrior hated an invisible and undetectable attack!

Kashi was even more determined to increase his distance, but Alia pulled her arm back, and he felt a force tug him through the air towards her. Alia smiled as she kicked out at the stunned draconian.

Kashi quickly blocked the kicked with his arms but he crashed into the ground. The draconian gasped as several breaths escaped his body. Still suspended in the air, Alia followed up with a downward kick, aiming for his chest.

Whoosh! Alia aborted the attack at the last second. She pulled with her right hand and she inexplicably shot upward just as a tree root shot past her previous location. The young woman licked her lips and suddenly tumbled mid-air. The strange movement allowed her to dodge Sonic who suddenly appeared in front of her, swinging for her throat.

After dodging the fatal strike, Alia completed her tumble and delivered an overhead kick to the stunned Sonic. Within a second of appearing, the kafu guildmaster was in danger of having his head split open!

Sonic reacted quickly. He rapidly disappeared, and appeared next to a blade he kept elsewhere. Chills ran down the kafu's spine as he thought back to that brief exchange. Alia had reacted too quickly back then! Not only did she dodge his carefully planned ambush, but she also counterattacked in the same motion. What kind of reflexes were those?

"Damn it!" Kashi cursed as he felt something tug him off the ground again before he could recover. The force sent him flying toward the airborne Alia. "Not again!" Kashi roared as arrows appeared within the draconian fingers. With a shout, he launched the arrows at Alia.

The daeben queen did not look perturbed by the sudden strike. She twisted and spun like she had predicted the attack. The harmlessly zipped past her, then she raised her arms, and winked at Kashi. "My turn."

The daeben queen pulled her arms together and two floating boulders suddenly zipped toward Kashi. Bang!

Despite being off-balance, Kashi swiftly punched out in both directions. Massive ki blasts shot out of his fists and shattered the boulders before they got close.

Above, Alia pointed her arms downward and 'pulled' up. Kashi, expecting to get tugged again, braced for impact, but he was stunned to see Alia blast toward him like she had been shot out of a cannon!