Chapter 45: Metamorphosis

"Haha..." Kashi let out a short laugh, part disbelief, and part relief when he heard Kira's familiar declaration. The playful bloodlust exuding from her gaze reminded Kashi of their long journey together. It was no exaggeration to state that Kira was the closest friend he'd had in this world, even going so far as to risk her life to save his. Faced with Kira's steadfast gaze, Kashi suddenly felt ashamed. He could not believe he had fallen so low that he showed off such a terrible side to her.

Kira's gaze narrowed when she saw Kashi's downcast gaze. However, rather than comfort him, the mutated Nightwind Direwolf softly growled and said as she turned to face Razznik. "Heal up Kashi. We'll be waiting for you." Without another word, Kira exploded forward like a cannonball, surrounded by several mini-tornadoes.

BANG! Kashi could only watch as Kira and Razznik clashed swords. The tremendous impact cracked the very earth beneath their feet and sent several shockwaves blasting over the mountaintop.

"Decent," complimented Razznik as he glared at Kira through flying sparks. "But you're not my target!" With a grunt, he flexed his sword arm and pushed Kira back. Simultaneously, clumps of blue flames gathered in his right hand. "Nice try!" Razznik roared as he blasted the torrent of flames towards the sky.

In the air, Suzuki, who was falling out of a portal, narrowed his eyes at the incoming flames. He ran a quick simulation and concluded he could not dodge out of the way in time. The situation appeared perilous but the daeben's expression was ice-cold. "Come, Jingu Brush."

The famed painting brush appeared in Suzuki's hand, having grown to just under a meter. "The World is my Canvas." Suzuki's eyes grew cold as his mana flowed into the brush. The bristles shone with a blue light as he activated the brush's cold properties. Then to everyone's shock, he swiftly drew a shape in the air with blinding speed.

What the hell was a drawing supposed to do in a fight?

"Rune?" Compared to the ignorant onlookers, Razznik's eyes narrowed in recognition.

"Avalanche," Suzuki commanded as he slapped the rune with his left hand.

Before everyone's shocked gaze, the rune burst into life, absorbing large amounts of mana from the world before exploding into a massive snowfall.

Pshh... Razznik's flames crashed into the snow, instantly melting the pile.

Whoosh! Suzuki burst through the resulting steam and drew another rune just above a smiling Razznik. This time, hundreds of tiny rock spikes shot out of the runes, threatening to skewer the Chaos God into Swiss cheese.

Faced with the barrage, Razznik grinned and swung his blade toward the sky. Terrible chaotic ki shot out of his sword in a wide arc. The chaos mana swallowed and disintegrated the rocks before they could reach him, but then continued on toward the falling daeben.

Suzuki, who had already predicted the counterattack, rapidly repositioned mid-air so he fell a few meters out of range of the chaotic energy.

Just as Suzuki's feet hit the ground, Kira, who had recovered from Razznik's push, burst forward once more. This time, however, small swords formed from compressed wind shot out ahead of her.

Kin! Kin! Kin! Razznik rapidly shattered the wind swords. But he could not rest as a rapidly spinning Kira fell upon him like a ripper from hell. Kira's outstretched sword continuously struck Razznik's sword as she spun in place. The incessant hits sent Razznik sliding backward, but he then stamped his foot against the ground, causing a mandala to appear beneath him.

Graggt! A dozen rock spires shot out of the ground on command and attempted to skewer Kira.

Vwoosh! Just when all hope seemed lost, the Nightwind Direwolf suddenly burst into smoke, causing the spikes to harmlessly strike the air.