Secrets in the Night [RW]

(??? PoV)

I observed the two before slipping back around the door frame.

So he is a hybrid... and he has a weakness. Father will be pleased at my findings.

Making sure no one else had awoken and come down the hall, I swiftly allowed myself to melt into the shadows and teleport unnoticed to the window, where the darkness ended. I slid it open and slipped out, my feet hitting the soft grass outside before I spread my wings and took flight. A chilled night time breeze brushed past me with each beat of my wings as I flew over the Earthen landscape below.

Soon I came across a path, cutting through a small standing of trees until it opened into a manmade clearing. Standing in that clearing was a building, constructed of wood and stone and with a tall tower strong in the air. The windows along the walls were stained glass with colorful designs, muted in the dim moonlight. I landed in front of the large front doors, taking a glance around before quietly pushing my way into the building.

Expanding in front of me was a sanctuary, many rows of pews lined up to a more elevated area, where an altar stood. A church, it was called. Apparently supposed to be a place of worship for humans to whatever god they looked to.

A bit ironic if you ask me.

I saw him quietly pacing to and fro behind the altar. His strict gaze was absent, deep in thought, his hands behind his back and his tail swaying side to side. His posture was that of dominance, of intimidation. Like a king, almost. At the realization of my presence, I felt his cold eyes on me. It was all I could do not to shiver. I could never be comfortable with the way he looks at me. His high-ground advantage made me feel even more inferior than I was.

"You've returned early," he remarked. A small accent, British, I think it was called, altered his deep voice - an accent I knew he didn't always have. I'd gotten used to it, but it was still a bit strange. "I hope for good reason?"

His query snapped me out of the frozen trance I had suddenly found myself trapped in. I shook my head, trying to release the tension I felt. "Y-yes, father. You were right. Socks is one of us."

My father tilted his head. "Of what hybrid?"

"He's a nephalem."

"That's what I figured," he said, a growl edging his tone. His abhor of the angelic kind was never hidden from me. "Of course."

I could sense his frustration from where I stood. I knew why. I needed to calm him before he decided to lash out. "Well... he has a weakness as well."

He paused, his gaze flickering to me once more. "A weakness?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well, then, by all means, tell me what you know," he smiled. Not a comforting motion at all. His sharp teeth gleamed menacingly in the dim light. His eyes shone with gleeful malice.

I swallowed my fears. He needs me. He won't kill me. "It's one of the humans. I've discovered that he's... grown attached. If you know what I mean. Blaza."

"Him?" my father scoffed. "Well, at least it's one of the more pathetic ones."

The way he spat the word pathetic, like venom on his tongue, made me flinch.

"The plan is working, nonetheless," he said, "We'll just have to be more... careful about our new friend. Nephalems aren't to be trifled with. Especially if his identity is as I believe."

I decided not to push his final remark. He turned away, not giving the slightest hint of gratitude at my following his word. "Find out as much as you can. Maybe we can get him out of the way more easily if we know more than we currently do."

I sighed. "Yes, father."

--

(???[2] PoV)

What the hell-?

I stepped back from the broken window of the church, hand on the gun I carried with me as I ducked around the edge of the frame. I had heard something in the night that woke me up, and I'd come to investigate. Now I'm beginning to regret it.

The creatures within the church were still speaking, speaking of the ruin they seem to be planning for the human race. For us. This isn't good.

I fingered at the safety on my pistol, slowly pulling it from my belt. If these guys were here to kill everyone, they had to be killed. Or maybe I could injure one to hinder their progress, then warn the others.

I forgot about the click of loading the gun. I heard a small gasp from inside, and my heart dropped like a stone.

"What was that?" The younger-sounding of the voices said with surprise.

His companion grumbled with some form of annoyance. "Someone's here. Find them and I'll meet you tomorrow once you finish the job."

"What do I do with them?"

"What do you think you're going to do with them?"

The younger one was silent. I knew what he was talking about. Seeing this as my chance, I whipped around the corner, aiming the barrel directly at the taller creature. Suddenly, a wall of shadow obscured the creature from my view, glowing red eyes shining through for a split second before disappearing. I was tossed backwards with an invisible force, landing on my back a few feet from where I stood. It was only after I scrambled to my feet and began to run that I realized I had dropped my gun in the grass.

No time to go back, I thought with lament. As much as it comforted me to have protection, I'd have to wait or I'd be dead by morning.

I tripped on some tree roots, stumbled a few steps and regained my balance as I sped through the dark. My only light was the dim, silver illumination of the half-moon above, broken by the branches and leaves blanketing the forest roof. I could tell one of the creatures wasn't far in trailing behind me. I needed to find a place to hide.

But, unfortunately, I wasn't destined to safety.

A crash of wood snapping and a tall figure landing in my path catalyzed me to falter my step. I stopped abruptly and scrambled backwards, falling on the grass below me. Pale yellow eyes shone brightly in the darkness, white pupils piercing the shadows as they looked down at me. The figure's teeth reflected the light of its eyes and the moon, showing them to be sharp and knifelike. Wings spread out on either side of it, at least a ten-foot span. I shrieked, but was silenced when I saw the gleam of the gun barrel pointed to my forehead.

The creature looked down at me, expression unreadable as it stood with the weapon pointed at me. I could hear its breathing, heavy as if it'd been running. Flying, I corrected myself, glancing at its wings once again.

It let out a sad exhale. "Sorry about this."

A loud BANG filled my eardrums. Warm liquid dripped down my face.

And I collapsed to the ground, everything fading from my feeling and sight.

--

(??? PoV)

I sighed, staring at the body on the ground with regret. Blood pooled by the human's forehead, where a crimson hole was visible through their hair. Sightless eyes stared at me, glazed with a look of death. Smoke still rose from the weapon in my hand, a gun, I recalled. Some kind of explosion mechanism. I lowered it, dropping it on the ground.

Guess I should get out of here, I thought. There was a house visible through the undergrowth. I'd have to hide the body.

After grabbing material from the flora around me and covering the dead human, I took a quick glance around and took off, flying through the leaves above me and through the dead of night.

-

mwahaha

1344 words