four

RILEY's POV

We had been in the elevator for about an hour now and we had been just speed rounding questions for time to pass.

"Favorite Color?"

"Blue."

I scoff, "Such a man response."

He shrugs, "I don't know. I like the color blue."

"My favorite color is red."

"Cool. Favorite snack?"

"Favorite snack? Really?"

"Yes, answer it!"

I think for a second, "Chocolate pretzels," I say.

He seems slightly impressed by my answer.

"Yours?"

"Goldfish."

I snicker a little at his answer. "What? What's wrong with goldfish?" He demands.

"I just can't picture you eating goldfish," I snicker.

He pouts, "Well, I do quite a lot."

That just makes me laugh harder at him. He stares at me with a small smile and sparkling eyes. I put up my hands in surrender, "Okay, okay, sorry for making fun of your snack habits."

"It's not okay but, I will move on," He teases. "What's your favorite memory?"

I slightly serious up, a smile on my face thinking back to my childhood. "Playing hockey with my siblings in the street. We would have girls against boys,  my sister and I would always win because I am the oldest and had been playing longer than them at the time. Then, seeing them get drafted and go off. They were grown and weren't my baby siblings anymore."

It's silent as I am still stuck in the memory. He carefully moves his gaze around me. Observing how your face brightens up when you smile and laugh. How your eyes crinkling a little bit, signs of life with smiles and laughter. You were beautiful, a bright beauty that was close to the sun.

My smile slowly faded as I noticed the look he was giving me. I noticed how our bodies were pressed together, how close the two of us sat next to each other. His gaze moved to my lips and I could feel him moving closer and closer.

I felt his breath on my lips. The far and
antagonizing space between you two. Switching my gaze between his lips and the depth of his eyes. The space felt torturous.

The space jerked away even more between us when the doors opened and Connor McDavid walked in, dragging Leon away saying that they were late for the competition.

I sat in the elevator, the sudden cold elevator. Alone and confused.

Snapping out of my headspace when a hotel worker came to help me up, "I am so sorry ma'am, we didn't notice the elevator was stuck."

I smiled at her politely and got out of the elevator.

Leon all the way down the hallway, still looking behind him.

As he turned the corner, we made eye contact for the last time.