sixty

I was sitting in the kitchen bar when Matthew sat next to me. I didn't want to say anything to him, but I knew he would say something to me. He wasn't being an asshole recently, but he still had his moments of aggravation. I still tried to ignore him as much as possible, I could tell me doing that was taking a toll on him, but it didn't really make the top of my priorities right now.

"Hey," He greeted me, setting down his keys and sitting next to me on a barstool. I don't answer him back.

He sighed, "Are you still mad at me?"

I didn't answer him, basically telling him yes.

"Why are you mad at me? I didn't do anything that bad for you to be mad at me for two weeks," He said.

I stopped eating my lunch at his words. I stare forward, not even daring to look in his direction. My lip curled in anger, "Matthew," I said calmly. "You ruined everything for me. Everything."

He looks at my side profile, looking at my clenched jaw and clenched hands. He could tell he said something wrong, and he immediately felt bad.

"I didn't ruin everything," He mumbled.

I finally looked at him, my face was calm and showing no expression, but my eyes were lit on fire with anger. "You ruined everything, and this family will never be the same again."

He swallowed nervously, "No, family before everything, right?"

I laugh humorously, "There is a healthy way of the family before everything, and a toxic way. And you, Matthew, showed me a prime example of the toxic way."

I stand up, going to the fridge to put my leftover food away. "You did this to yourself, you didn't want to be alone, so you did something that made your best friend hate you," I shrug casually at him and walk to my room, leaving him in the kitchen with tears in his eyes.

A couple of minutes later, I walk back out to the kitchen and see Matthew still sitting in the same spot. He spots the bags in my hands and his face drops, "What are you doing?" He asks frantically, his voice cracking. "I know I messed up but don't leave me."

I tear up a little at his frantic, sad composure. "Mer offered for me to stay with her and Johnny. I think I should take it. It's only for a little bit," I pull him into a hug, and he latches onto me, his shoulders shaking with tears.

I place my chin on his head and started to smooth his hair down. "Don't cry, Matty," I sniffle. "I can't handle you crying. I am just leaving for a little bit."

He pulls me closer, and I can feel his tears seeping through my shirt. I sniffle, wiping the tears off my face, and pull him off of me. I bend down to be at his height while sitting, "Don't let me leaving affect your playing okay," I say while wiping the tears from his face. "I will still be at the games, and if you need me I will be there for you."

I kiss his temple and stand up, grabbing my bags. "I will always love you, Matty. But right now we need some time apart."

Then, open the door and walk out.