Chapter 18

Alec knew something was wrong when the cottage Jade and Byron were supposed to meet him came into sight, but they were nowhere to be found. He felt dread settle in the pit of his stomach and turned his horse back towards the castle to search for them. Once he searched the castle and they were still nowhere to be found, he felt himself starting to panic. Fear for Jade rushed through his veins as he took off across the meadow towards the now dark forest. When he reached a clearing a mile from the keep he came to a shuddering halt. Byron's prone figure lay on the ground, Alec jumped from his horse and ran to his friend, praying he was still alive.

By the time he reached Byron, icy fear had twisted around his heart. But just as he reached Byron his friend let out a painful moan and he knew his friend lived. "Byron, where's Jade?" he demanded without greeting his injured friend. When Byron flinched, Alec's heart tightened. He gripped his friend by the forearm and assisted him to his feet. "Where is she?" he growled, not wanting to believe she was dead. The anger in Byron's eyes was unmistakable, but Alec saw a flash of guilt at well. "Taken," he finally answered. "Dominic is on his way to deliver her to Noctis as we speak." Red filled Alec's vision. "Dominic?" Byron nodded. "I'm going to rip out his black heart," Alec said now seething with anger. Suddenly they heard a crack from somewhere behind the tree line and they were both instantly on alert.

"Don't attack, it's just me." A small woman with delicate features, long black hair, and midnight blue eyes stepped out from behind a tree. She was a beauty to be sure with her striking blue eyes and Alec couldn't help but be reminded of Jade's own emerald eyes.

"Who are you?" Alec demanded to know. "That's Jade's, Aunt Skylar." Byron surprised him by answering. "You two have met?" "Yes, Jade was with her right before Dominic took them both and snapped my neck." "Where is Jade? Is she with you?" he demanded to know, hopeful Jade would appear from behind the tree line at any moment.

But he felt his hopes sink when she started shaking her head. "No, Dominic has her. She used her magic to create a diversion so that I could escape and come to find you. I assume your Alec." She said already knowing the answer. "I am." Was his only reply.

For a moment, none of them spoke, all lost in their own thoughts. Then Byron broke the silence. He told Alec of everything that had happened, of Jade's rescue of Ivy; they're being ambushed when they got out of the tunnel; Jade being taken and meeting up with Skylar and the two of them escaping and meeting up with him only to be surrounded by Dominic and his men.

"I will get her back. Nothing will stop me." "We will get her back," Byron replied and clasped Alec's forearm. Skylar cleared her throat from behind them. "Yes, we will all get her back." She said a determined look in her eyes and Alec could see that she would stop at nothing to get to her niece and the realization please him.

Alec knew that if they were going to take on Dominic and his forces they were going to need some reinforcements. "They have greater numbers than us, so we will need to send word to the Order to join us. We need all the help we can get."

"We need to determine our plans carefully but with all haste. If Dominic makes it to Hallowstone it will be impossible for us to follow, we need to cut him off before he crosses the Petram border." Skylar rushed to explain. "No one can get into Hallowstone. It's been spelled. How does Dominic even plan on getting in?" Byron asked confused.

"Jade can get him in. She is the key. Why do you think Noctis wants to get to her so badly? She is the key to releasing him from his prison." Skylar explained and both Alec and Byron had mirroring looks of surprise. "How is Jade the key?" Alec asked.

"Her blood. Ryker the dragon who cast the spell trapping Noctis in Hallowstone is the same Dragon whose blood runs thru Jade's veins. The spell he used to seal the castle was tied to his blood. Not knowing that fact Noctis killed Ryker in a fit of rage effectively sealing him into his prison without Ryker's blood given willingly to free him. But Noctis believes he has found a loophole in Jade. If he can get Jade to give him her blood willingly he believes it will break the spell and free him."