sixty-one | a promise of death

In the woods, the three original mermaids met

In the woods, the three original mermaids met. Elodie had joined them with the rest of the mermaids remaining with the wolves to emerge when the time was right.

"Did you speak to the moon?" Freya questioned.

"That question never has a good answer," Alison muttered.

It was never good, but still vital to know.

In the past it had led them to figure out who Riley was, and then Freya's betrayal of the pack, but also that Renesmee would be a mermaid in the future. Now, the moon could tell them who was to live or die — or if Freya was destined to be Aro's siren.

"We did," said Elodie. "But we've kept it to ourselves."

"That's not helpful," Freya argued.

"You trust me, right?" Elodie questioned.

Trusting Elodie had once been questionable, but Freya knew she would trust the blonde with her life. Elodie could be selfish, but after everything she had been through, Freya understood her now.

"Of course," said Alison.

Freya nodded her head. "You know we do."

"Then whatever is about to happen, has to happen," Elodie told them.

Those words came with silence as the two studied Elodie, looking for a hint of emotion that would give them a clue. However, Elodie wore a smile that wasn't so bright, but still joyful enough to not give anything away.

"Uh," said Elodie before they left. "I, um, wanted to say thanks to you both."

"For what?" Alison questioned.

"For finding me in that cave, I guess," Elodie told them. "I know I haven't been the nicest to you both, but... I'm very grateful that you found me."

The words touched the two as they smiled, knowing the pack wouldn't have been the same without Elodie. While Elodie had once preferred to be alone, she had found a home within the pack — and had found Paul, who she had finally let herself love.

"Thanks for deciding to go to the cave that day," Freya replied.

"Elodie, you know we love you," Alison reminded her.

Elodie smiled at that. "Please don't die."

Then, to their surprise, Elodie was pulling them both into her arms. In Elodie's way that was her saying that she loved them too.

As the last of the snow fell (a real pain for the mermaids, but they were on it), they stood on the battlefield once again. Alison, Elodie and Jacob (in his human form) stood with Freya, keeping close to support her. Nearby, Bella and Edward were standing with their daughter, waiting for the opposing threat.

"I can feel him," Freya announced.

It was like a beacon inside her head that grew louder the closer Aro got.