fifteen | shape-shifters and mermaids

Nancy was silent for a change; hidden behind Natalie Swan as she peeked at Jacob

Nancy was silent for a change; hidden behind Natalie Swan as she peeked at Jacob. It wasn't like the two had never met before, but Nancy likely didn't remember the boy much or had never spoken to him.

"Nanc, come on, this is Billy's son, Jacob," Natalie coxed the girl out from behind her legs.

"Hi, Nancy," the boy crouched, knowing his height probably made him seem more intimidating. "Freya told me you like unicorns, is that right?"

She nodded her head. Freya shot her mother a glare as she noticed her mother's eyebrows raised in question as to why Freya was bringing a boy home, even if it was Billy Black's son. Freya had brought him home to show him the letter and Jacob had something to discuss with her before the meeting that was being held tonight.

They had just dropped Bella and Alison home with Jacob reassuring Bella that he will protect her against Victoria. Jacob was going to voice it at the meeting tonight so Bella's house could be watched.

"It's nice to see you well again," Natalie told Jacob as the boy stood up again. "What are you guys up to?"

"Freya and I were just going to hang out until tonight," he smiled politely. "There's a bonfire going on in La Push later on. My dad will be there, telling our tribal stories."

Nancy's eyes light up. "Are they scary stories?"

"Nothing about unicorns," Jacob told her, but then he flashed a bemused look at Freya as she suppressed a sigh, knowing what he was about to say. "Maybe the occasional mermaid story."

"Mermaids," Nancy seemed to be warming up to Jacob. "Are there mermaids at the beach?"

"No, Nancy," Freya told her as the younger girl seemed to deflate.

"They're just stories," Jacob explained to her. "But you never know, maybe you'll be the first to find a mermaid." 

Nancy giggled. "Can I come tonight?"

"No, baby," Natalie told her. "It'll be bedtime for you then, but we can go to the beach tomorrow and see if we can spot any mermaids."

The girl cheered, running off to her room to find all the resources she would need for the hunt. Freya shot Jacob a look as his lips thinned, hiding his smile. She'd brought him home once and already he had managed to get her little sister to hunt Freya down.

"I'll leave you two to it then," Natalie said as she placed her hands on her hips. "You'll keep your bedroom door open."

"Mom -"

"Jacob might be Billy's boy, Freya, but your door will still be open," she cut Freya off. "Sorry, Jacob - nothing personal."

"It's cool," he didn't seem phased like Freya was. Freya was sure she was glowing a bright red.

"Expect your dad to come to see you both when he's home," Natalie warned Freya.

"Great," Freya mumbled before moving to go upstairs with Jacob following behind her.