twenty-one | sweet sixteen

Forks graveyard was almost empty, apart from the newly sixteen-year-old girl that sat cross-legged in front of her brothers grave

Forks graveyard was almost empty, apart from the newly sixteen-year-old girl that sat cross-legged in front of her brothers grave. The spring air crept at Freya as she pulled her legs up to her chest, resting her chin on the top of her knees.

"One more year and we'll be the same age," she spoke to Noah. "Crazy, huh? But you wouldn't believe how crazy my life's been since I last spoke to you."

The headstone stayed silent; the immaculate stone gleaming from the frequent visits of her parents. Freya only made the visit occasionally when she could bear it, but for her past two birthdays, she had stopped by.

Life had become crazy for Freya and she didn't mean being a mermaid within a wolf pack; she happens to be seeing one, who is apparently destined for her. But she meant her strange abilities that were getting crazier with Freya's ability to manipulate the water, as well as the pack teaching her self defence. In a short period of time, Freya had come to realise that she grasped onto healing incredibly easy thanks to Sue Clearwater and Shelley.

Then there was the fact that they now had a third mermaid with Elodie being Shelley's niece, who has already managed to cause a storm with her turning out to be Paul's imprint - and she had a temper that could potentially leave her vulnerable to the darker spirits. Luckily, Freya had been the only one to trigger her darker abilities; no one was certain of what that meant other than Freya being able to compel when emotionally vulnerable. Triggering these abilities had everyone in a panic - even more so than before with the upcoming full moon in a few days. Freya was afraid, but apparently, today was a day for celebrating her birthday (not that she felt like celebrating).

"Do you see what I mean, Noah?" She summed up to her brother, finishing with an irritated sigh. "And I haven't even told you the scariest bit, yet. I've been hearing things, as well as having nightmares," she glanced down at the floor. "You are in them, but I'm a mermaid and I still can't save you. You're angry with me - want me to use my powers - but I don't know how."

Freya grew silent, eyes burning at the memory of the nightmares. It was something she had kept secret, too ashamed to admit to, but everyone had seen the shadows under her eyes - as well as her pale complexion. Freya was sure that's why everyone was making a big deal about her birthday, even her parents who were completely clueless of the life she lived. 

"I've also met this guy," she changed the conversation. "Well, you know him: Jacob Black. He's... well, he's the sweetest person I've ever known. He's always so happy, but he's protective, especially of his friends... and I guess me."

Freya's ears twitched upon noticing the familiar heavy footsteps that she turned her head to see Jacob walking towards her. The grin on his face told her that he had heard what she was saying as she averted his gaze. Freya couldn't help but feel the relief that he hadn't heard what she had previously told Noah.

"How did you find me?" She asked.

"Hello to you, too," he said, faking a pout.

"Hi."