Chapter 37

Oh my God

Oh my God.

I was marked.

I never knew it would even happen.

Apparently, Caine's wolf was contented with just me being marked and didn't push anything else yet. 

From what my wolf had informed me of, she thinks that the curse may have backed off a bit for now, since I was marked and he would go insane soon.

I just hope that Marshmallow comes in time before that happens.

"Why are we going to this creepy place? I thought you wanted to get back to Sylvia as fast as possible," Buttercup mumbled

"Yeah but I forgot that we had to ask a witch to blend the ingredients," I say, rubbing my hand on my temples.

"So which witch are we going to?"

"Hecate's friend. She owes me a favor. I saved her son, I took him to the werewolves so that he wouldn't get killed. He got adopted by a werewolf couple who couldn't bare children."

"Oh, okay, how much longer?"

"We're almost there."

***

"It looks beautiful and scary at the same time," Buttercup breathed.

The gates were all black with swirly patterns, fog covering half of the gates. The mansion was all-black, the elegant windows were all covered with white curtains. There was a balcony near the top of the house, and there, a woman was staring at us.

The gates opened and we entered, it was obvious that our presence was already known.

A poor of grey dust appeared in front of us and the witch, Linda, appeared.

"Nice to see you again," Linda says, sticking her hand out for a shake.

I warily looked at her hand. The last time we shook hands, she electrocuted me.

Linda chuckled and said, "At least you're not as clueless as the rest. Come."

She led us around the maze-like pathways of the mansion, there was no one else in the house. It must be lonely... having such a big house and not having anyone else in it except yourself.

Then she stopped at the living room and flicked the lights on, as she did, the fireplace was lit by a spark of fire.

"So. What do you need?" Linda asked, pouring us some tea.

I take the steaming cup of tea that she offered to me in my hands, letting it warm my shivering hands.

It was challenging to get here, the oddest things can happen when you try to enter a witch's lair. Snowstorms in illusions of deserts. Hurricanes and tsunamis in the middle of a land. Fog blurring the way ahead.

"Can you blend these into a potion? The same way it states in the Book of Shadows," I took the ingredients out of my pocket and handed it to her.

She examined the ingredients and said, "This would be a bit tricky, since there's fur. Hmmm..."

And then I remembered that we still need a drop of an Alpha's saliva. Shit, how could I forget?

"By any chance, do you have the saliva of an Alpha with you right now? It needs exactly one drop right after you blend the potion."

"Mmm, of course I do. I have the basic ingredients and some rare ones with me too. I upgraded the security around my area and laced some traps with poison since the vampires have been stepping out of the line lately," she says as she took a sip from her tea.

I placed my now empty cup on the wooden table.

"But if I help you, you have to tell me where my son is," Linda said.

"Done."

***

"Here it is," Linda said, handing me the option that swirled with different shades of purple and pink.

"He's at Lisseira town, cared by a werewolf couple, Farah and Jackstone."

She smiled, her eyes shimmered of longing and sadness. "They'd be a better parent than I could ever be."

As quick as her emotions had shown, it vanished, and she looked straight at Buttercup, who had been quiet the whole time she'd been here. Linda's eyes turned grey

"Dear, someone is looking for you. Someone who wants to overthrow the ruling species at the moment. From the place you ran away from. Beware."

And her eyes went back to the warm brown color it had and said, "I could offer you a portal home. And by home, I mean the beast's den, would you be up for it?"

"If you don't mind," I say.

She led us into a staircase, the potion inside the pouch of my belt moving each time I took a step up. Once we reached the highest floor of the mansion, she led us to the only room in it, which had all sorts of portals to different places, and pointed at the one with a light green shade of light.

"Hope we meet again in the future," Linda's echoing voice said as Buttercup and I got lost into the swirling mess of the portal.

***

I had a soft landing, on a pile of fur.

A pair of bright yellow eyes looked up at me.

"Whoops, didn't mean to land on top of you," I said, getting off of the fluffy beast.

The beast let out a gentle grunt and whimper and took the crumpled newspaper he was reading from the floor.

The headline read: VAMPIRES AGAINST THEIR MASTER?!

The rest of the paper was filled with lines and lines of text, all theories with explanations about how the vampires turned against their own master.

"What's that," I asked, not-so-gently snatching it from the beast. He let go without much of a fight and sank onto the couch he was on.

My eyes skimmed through the text and then flipped the page, then realized that the whole newspaper was about that topic alone, which was pretty weird, but I guess it just explains how serious their situation was.

There were multiple black-and-white photos taken in different situations, most of them blurred.

I squinted at one of the pictures and saw a familiar-looking wolf fighting off a couple of vampires who were trying to sink their fangs into him.

"Wait. If he's in that picture, it means he's not here anymore?" I looked at the beast for approval, and he lowered his furry head.

"Do you know where he is?"

He shook his head but pointed at one of the pictures, where a lycan was tearing a vampire's throat out, and shrugged as if saying, "That's all I know."

Great, now how are we supposed to give him the antidote?