Check (1)

It couldn't be.

But there was no doubt about it.

This was no ordinary wolf. It wasn't just the colour of those eyes, that emerald green I'd seen so often, but the expression in them, that same perceptive expression, the same intensity. 

I couldn't stop staring at him - and he stared right back, not moving. One of the other wolves came up next to him - and I realised with a dull shock, this must be one of the three Guard I'd seen him with - and growled softly, nudging him.

And then he turned his head sharply to the side, at the same time I smelled them - at least fifteen new scents coming into range. Lichorians, it had to be more Lichorian Guard, backing up this lot. I scrambled to my feet, and that had him looking back at me. I looked in the direction of the scents, hearing now the sound of feet and voices, and then looked back at him, hoping my urgency was plain for him to see. I backed away, from him, from the others, and from the fallen Lichorians, lying around us, turning towards the trees, glancing back to see what he was doing. 

He was standing right where he'd been, the other three wolves flanking him now, all watching me leave. 

I stopped, hesitating, not wanting to leave them there to deal with this, not after what they'd just done, not when they'd saved my life. But then he turned and ran, into the trees, away from the scene and from me, the other three close behind him. And so I turned back, limping into the forest, climbing into the trees and heading in the direction of the rest point where I'd told Jax to wait. From behind me, I could hear the new arrivals' raised voices as they came upon the scene, hear the groaning of the injured. But not anything else. 

They'd gone as silently as they'd come. 

I was in shock.

I couldn't afford to think about it now. I had to get away from the area as quickly as I could and get to Jax. The unexpected assist had been invaluable - they'd thrown my pursuers off my trail, and I could now quietly meld into the forest without concern that I'd be followed. 

I made way towards the meeting point slowly, now feeling the stinging pain of having gone through the barrier a second time, as well as the return of the dull ache in my leg. I arrived at the clearing and made straight for the tree dwelling, but didn't try to climb up, wanting to conserve my energies - we had a long journey ahead of us.

I gave my soft birdcall, glancing around me and then up at the dwelling, hoping Jax had made it. I turned sharply as there was a soft rustling from behind me, and to my relief, I saw Jax climb down gingerly from the lowest branches of a nearby tree. He looked tired and pale, but otherwise alright.

You took your time. I was getting worried, he signed, looking me up and down. 

Any trouble getting out? I asked before fumbling for my flask and handing it to him. 

He took it, shaking his head.

You?

Just the barrier. Stings like nothing else, I replied briefly, nodding my head at the flask. I didn't want to get into the close shave I'd just had. He looked at me long and hard before lifting it to his mouth and drinking. He handed it back to me and I drained what remained before putting it back.

Go back to where you hid and wait for me, I signed.

Where are you going? 

To borrow some horses. I gestured at both of us. Neither of us are in great shape right now, but we need to keep moving. The faster we get back, the better. 

By now, the Lichorians would have discovered the missing prisoner in Ochor. Along with the border breach, that would be enough for them to put two and two together. There was no telling what they would do, so it was vital I got Jax back to Enarda. I was sure he'd have collected the information the Clans needed and he was a vital witness, to boot. He'd be safe once I got him into the heart of the Clan, where no one could get at him.