White Knight

Alen

The windrush danced through the trees in the grove slowly, ruffling the leaves on one branch, then another, lazily making its way around the grove before it reached me and whispered through my hair.

From my position, some height above the ground, nestled in the branches of a very leafy tree and hidden from view, I stayed still, waiting.

There.

A soft hoot sounded from somewhere below.

One by one, the members of my personal Guard dropped into sight. Only when the head Guard gave the signal did I leap down to join them.

"Aren't we a little--" 

"Shhhhh!" Vaia hushed me, glaring. 

"---paranoid?" I finished mildly, raising an eyebrow at her. "Who exactly do you think is out there listening, Vaia?"

She gave me an exasperated look.

"You scanned." I reminded her. "There isn't a living thing in a two mile radius. Unless, of-course, you're saying you missed something?" I grinned at her mischievously.

She showed me her middle finger, making me and the others chuckle. 

"Lighten up." I said easily. "Nothing's going to happen with Vargas right over there." I nodded my head towards the grey walls that I could see some distance away through the tree cover. "Relax."

"I'll relax when we're behind the Wall." She muttered, glancing over my shoulder as the last of our team emerged from the trees to join us. 

"And clearly not a moment before." I murmured, smiling slightly, but she didn't look in the least amused, turning towards the edge of the grove.

"Let's go." She lead the way out of the trees, towards the Wall.

One of the other Guard caught my eye and grinned, shrugging his shoulders. I sighed and followed after Vaia, as he and another Guard flanked me, with the other two behind us. It was starting to grate on me, all of this, but I knew why it had been put in place. We had to be more careful than ever after the incidents with the Rogues. 

As if they'd heard my thoughts, the Guard manning the sentry post had formed a tight phalanx as we approached, weapons at the ready, expressions watchful, easing only after Vaia presented her Clanmark and security clearance. They let us through without a word, saluting me silently with closed fists on the heart, which I acknowledged with a nod and smile.

Contrary to her words, Vaia showed no sign of relaxing now that we were behind the Wall, not breaking stride as she lead the way through the familiar streets of Galae and slowing only when we'd crossed into the Clanholding courtyard.

"I think I'll be fine from here." I said firmly, as we approached the main holding. Vaia stopped and looked at me. "Clanholding, Vaia. I'm not having an escort within Clanholding. Think of my dignity." I said the words with humour, a grin on my face, but meeting her unflinching gaze head on.  

After a moment, she shook her head, shrugging.

"Very well, my Lord." She nodded at the rest of the team, who inclined their heads at me one by one and then headed off towards the Guard and Warrior Quarters. She made to follow them, then turned back to me.

"Your safety is in our hands, my Lord." She reminded me, her tone acerbic. "So suck it up and deal with it."

I smiled at her wryly, raising my hands in acknowledgment.

She bowed curtly and stomped off in the direction of the Guard Quarters, her back looking stiff and unyielding. I sighed.

"I think you pissed her off." A familiar voice said from behind me.