Adjustment

"Lio. Wake up, Lio."

I felt the hand on my shoulder and jerked into awareness. 

The sun was streaming through the window, a scent of jasmine in the air, fresh and clean. I sat up slowly, but the body ache, the exhaustion, the nausea and giddiness, were all gone. The suppressant had finally worn off.

"Welcome back."

I looked over at Iola who was perched on my bed, smiling. I returned her smile and stretched, feeling the strength in my muscles again. Gods, it felt good to be back to normal again. 

"Feeling better I take it?" Iola asked as she held out a mug of hot tea. I nodded as I took it from her and took a long gulp. 

Ouch. 

I winced and touched my throat, and suddenly it all came flooding back, the whole incident with the Raging Bull. 

That really happened then. 

"I'm glad. You had me worried there." Iola said. "You were out for a long time."

"Only a few hours longer than usual." I said, taking another long drink of the tea. By the strength of the sunlight, it looked to be nearing mid-day, which meant I'd been asleep for about 7 hours after my early morning adventures. 

"Lio, you've slept for a whole day." Iola said, amused. 

I stared at her and then shook my head.

"We met last night, when I returned."

"That was the night before last, Lio." Iola smiled as I stared again. "You missed all three Meals yesterday."

"My Lord, my apologies," I began, as I threw back the sheets and swung my legs to the floor. "I'm so sorry--" But Iola waved off my apology as she rose, heading to the small seating area where I could see fruit, porridge and juice waiting. 

"You're allowed to be sick once in a while, you know." She sat in one of the chairs, reaching for an apple and gesturing for me to join her. "And besides, it made the contingent very appreciative of what you do. With you unavailable, they were all scrambling to manage their arrangements. They've all been quite fervently wishing for your good health and speedy recovery." She winked at me as she began peeling and cutting the apple.

"I'm so sorry, my Lord." I repeated, sitting down.

"You needed it, Lio." She said, glancing up briefly, "You looked on the verge of collapse when we met. You look yourself now. Back to full strength?"

I nodded, leaning back in my chair. I was certain I was at full strength. The weakness I'd felt was gone, I felt refreshed, alive, full of energy.

"Good. I thought we'd have Afternoon Meal in your chambers together, before I head to the meeting. That way I can catch you up on what you've missed." She speared a piece of apple and put it in her mouth. 

"More drama?" I asked, pouring myself a glass of juice. She grinned at me.

"We're Clan. Of-course there's drama."

It didn't take long for her to bring me upto speed. I hadn't missed anything of significance, Clans were still butting heads and Clans were still mediating. Once Iola had headed off for her afternoon meetings, I took a refreshing shower, feeling even more invigorated and ready to handle all the logistics that were pending.

I was drying myself off when I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and frowned. I moved forward for a better look.

Ah.