Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

Chapter 20 - Laurent's Offer

I checked my appearance in the mirror, running my fingers through my hair, fluffing it, then glanced at the clock. It was twenty past ten. This was stupid, really stupid. So what if Laurent was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen? It was nothing more than a shell to hide the monstrous thing inside.

I leaned forward, smudging my fingers below my eyes. There was still a hint of mascara on my lashes, making them pop. The dress I'd worn earlier was tucked away in my closet, replaced with a pair of soft leggings and a knitted scoop neck T-shirt.

A knock had me whirling towards the door.

"Come in," I croaked, heart already pounding. I gulped down a breath. I could do this.

Laurent swept in, tray in hand. I blinked, taking him in. My mind blanked. Jeans hugged his muscular thighs, the button down from earlier looked a little rumpled, sleeves rolled to the elbows, exposing his corded forearms. Instead of a sweet scent, my nose was invaded by the smell of him. The back of my neck itched; I resisted the urge to rub it.

"Good evening, Miss Shaw." His gaze swept over me. I didn't miss the way his eyes lingered. Heat prickled my skin. I fought the urge to cross my arms over my chest. "I apologize that I'm a little early this evening. These are best enjoyed warm."

My feet took a step towards him. I forced myself to stop. To look at the tray in his hands. I swallowed, then licked my lips. "What did you make tonight?" I blurted, then clenched my jaw.

A huff left his lips. "Donuts." I took another step towards him. "I think I got the recipe correct. You'll have to let me know." He set the tray down on my coffee table.

This was becoming more and more familiar. My eyes darted between the tray and his figure, as he took several steps back, clasping his hands behind his back. At least six glazed donuts sat on a plate beside the homemade hot chocolate I'd fallen in love with over the past few weeks—

"May I join you again tonight?" His voice came out soft.

"Yes," I said, too quickly. My hands clenched.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I repeated, just as quickly.

He made his way around the coffee table and took a seat on the sofa, this time, a little closer to the middle. His arm stretched across the back, making the muscles in his chest press through his button down. I blinked, then strode around the coffee table towards the sofa, hesitating.

I could do this.

Squaring my shoulders, I sat near the middle, determined to prove a point, mostly to myself. That I wasn't afraid of him. I wasn't.

I could practically feel his hand, so close to my shoulder. If I leaned back, it would come into contact with me. So, I didn't. I sat straight.

"Thank you for today," he said, nearly a whisper. My head whipped towards him, eyes locking on his face, on his steady expression. My thoughts scrambled. I tried to grasp at something coherent as they slipped out of my brain. "I know it was a great deal to ask. I know that being in my presence repulses you." My stomach dropped. "I appreciate you rising to the occasion, helping Dr. Kennedy feel at home here. You owe me nothing, and yet, you were accommodating and helpful. I will not forget it."

"It...I...It's..." Incoherent words. My cheeks turned hot. This happened so much around him; I hated it.

"Try the donuts," he urged, as if sensing my struggle and saving me from it. "I'm desperate to know if they taste as good as they look." Something about the way he said it, about the thing that moved behind his eyes, made his words feel so much heavier. Like there was more. A deeper meaning.