Wattpad Original
Ada 10 bab gratis lagi

Chapter 24 - Sharing Memories

The entry hall was a mass of activity. Vittorio kept close to me. I looked over Laurent's vampires, their clothes tattered and ripped, black gore spattered over their skin. Shoulders sagged. Words were hushed.

I caught sight of a familiar face, immediately relieved. "Zola!" I cried rushing to her.

"Darling!" Zola opened her arms and I fell into them. She folded me close, hugging me. Her lavender and lemon scent wrapped around me. She was here. She was alive. Whole. Safe.

"I'm so glad you made it," I breathed, pulling back to get a better look at her. "Did they...did they hurt you?"

"There's no need to fret, darling. All is well."

She was dressed in black spandex—so different from her usual. There were large rips across the fabric, and what looked like demon blood splattered on her face. I hugged her again anyway.

"I was so worried," I admitted.

"No need for it, darling. You should have seen your Laurent. He was a wonder to behold."

"Lily." A familiar, low voice made my stomach lurch. Laurent stood beside Vittorio, eying me carefully. Vittorio's lips moved rapidly. With each word, Laurent's gaze darkened while his face remained granite.

Zola spared Laurent a curious glance then said, "We will speak tomorrow, yes, darling?" She leaned in and kissed my forehead, then disappeared.

Laurent took her place, looking me over from head to toe. Like the others, he was disheveled and splattered in demon blood. I hardly noticed the other vampires swarming around us.

"You are unharmed?"

"I...there was..."

He exhaled, reaching for my hand. I let him take it, too flustered to do much else. "Come, little flower. You should be abed at this hour."

His words reminded me of how heavy my limbs felt. How overwhelmed my mind was. Suddenly, sleep felt like the best idea in the world.

We climbed the stairs, leaving everyone behind. As we cleared the second floor, he said, "What happened while I was gone, Lily? Vittorio gave me a rushed version."

I pulled my thoughts together and told him about the demon attack, how Zola had been a diversion to get him out of the house, to distract him so that they could take me. His carefully crafted expression broke, replaced with suppressed fury that didn't match his movements. He stopped, turning me to face him, gently taking hold of my shoulders. "I should have been here."

"No." I swallowed, shaking my head. "You should have been exactly where you were needed, rescuing Zola."

His lips pressed into a tight line. Before he could argue, I set off again, leading him to the third floor. This time he snatched my wrist, his thumb brushing over my pulse, as if to reassure himself. I walked in to my bedroom, searching out Cinnamon. A soft smile spread across my lips at the sight of her snoozing in her crate.

Laurent guided me over to the sofa and sat me down. "Wait here."

He disappeared through the door that was usually locked—a door I was certain joined our rooms together. Less than two minutes later, he returned, the blood gone, a fresh change of clothes on his massive frame. He took a seat very close, angled towards me, and for once, I didn't feel the urge to scoot away. Our knees brushed and my eyes darted down at the brief contact.

The tray from earlier was still there, with my half finished hot chocolate. There were two slices of lemon blueberry bread left. I grabbed one and sat back, if only to give myself something to do.