Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 34 - Trying to Love

Drazgus was dead. The message was clear—a message directed at Laurent. Now he'd never discover who'd wanted Lily. Whoever it was was still out there. Drazgus's death wouldn't stop them from making another attempt.

Knowing that only made him more protective.

He'd wrestled with himself over allowing Lily to go out shopping with Zola. Dress shopping, specifically. He'd sent both Vittorio and Hassan along. Cinna, too, to give both males something to do on the street while they milled about.

In the meantime, he'd been subjected to various social calls around the city, meeting with alliances. It was tedious and sent his mood spiraling. By the time he returned to the house, he was desperate for Lily's attention. He found her in the drawing room at the piano. Hassan was in the room, listening to her play.

"Out," he barked. Hassan complied without question.

"Laurie?" Lily paused, turning to him.

"No need to stop, sweetheart," he said, stooping to place a kiss on her cheek. She flushed at the tender nickname. He got a rise from it.

She went back to playing. A gentle melody that was simple, yet ethereal. He found a place on the sofa closest to her and propped an ankle over his knee, stretching his arm along the back. Her eyes darted towards him before returning the sheet music before her. As she played, Cinna padded over.

"Hi sweet girl," he cooed. The pup took that as an invitation, jumping up beside him to lay her head in his lap. He stroked her soft ears. Before Lily, he would have cringed at the thought of a pet on the furniture. But this was Cinna, and she was Lily's. He'd discovered a measure of tolerance he never believed he possessed. "All tuckered out from today's shopping, I see."

Cinna let out a loud sigh then closed her eyes.

He caught Lily glancing towards them, a small smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. He closed his eyes, letting his head fall against the sofa's back, listening to Lily play. The tension in his muscles began to ease, then disappear. Long minutes passed. When he felt more himself, his head snapped up.

"Come here, Lily," he commanded. Her playing cut off abruptly. She regarded him, then rose and softly stepped over to him. He pulled her onto his lap, straddling him.

"Everything went all right today?" He knew it had. Vittorio had given him text message updates every five minutes at his insistence.

"Apparently I'm to have an entire wardrobe of fancy evening gowns and ballgowns," she explained. He hummed in approval. "Zola kept scolding me for picking the cheapest things. She proceeded to choose fabrics that cost three times as much. We spent more money today than the cost of my entire university education."

"Hmm...sounds positively trying."

"It's not funny, Laurie. You have no idea what it was like growing up with nothing. I..." She sighed, her eyes glittering with hurt. "I'm not used to just buying whatever I want and pissing money away like it's nothing."

His chest tightened. The smirk melted off his lips.

"I mean, it took me two years just to break my food hoarding habits when I set out on my own. Two years before I realized I wasn't going to starve if I didn't save every last leftover like a pack rat."

His mood darkened. The thought of her suffering, going hungry, left his blood boiling. His jaw clenched as he said, "I'm sorry, little flower, that you went through that. Never again. I will see to your every need. I know it is an adjustment, but I intend to spoil you as you deserve to be spoiled, Lily. Let me take care of you, hmm?"

icon lock

Show your support for Melissa Mitchell, and continue reading this story

by Melissa Mitchell
@addicted2dragons
Season 2 of The Arcane Artifacts Growing up in the foster care syste...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @addicted2dragons.