Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 23 - A Trap

I smiled at Laurent, so at ease on the sofa, with his muscled thighs spread wide, his body slightly curved into the cushions, and an arm carelessly braced along the back. Weeks ago, I couldn't look at him without wanting to vomit. Now...I wanted to keep looking at him. What the hell was happening to me? He was making me playful, flirty.

Was it his blood?

I'd had a handful of boyfriends, despite the challenging time constraints. I'd lost my virginity after starting at the university. I wasn't completely inexperienced, per se. But none of my boyfriends had made me feel anything beyond mild attraction.

Laurent was so far beyond anything imaginable. He wasn't something I could dream up in my fantasies. Yet, he existed, right here, in front of me.

Here I sat, holding up my end of the conversation as if I'd done it a thousand times. He was making it easy. Making me want to.

My skin heated at the things he'd said earlier, about all the reasons he wanted to be around me. My stomach still fluttered over those words. I wanted to disregard them. To pretend they weren't sincere. But the earnestness in his expression, even his slight nervousness, told me enough. He'd meant every word.

"So, tell me, Laurie—"

His phone rang. A flash of irritation crossed his features, followed by a growl as he fished it from his pocket. That expression only deepened. "Marco. What?"

I huffed, quietly.

"You're sure? Fuck!" He flew off the couch and halfway across the room before I could finish my blink. "No. Gather the others—meet me in the entry. This has gone far enough."

He pocketed his phone and strode towards the door, hesitating before he turned. "I am sorry, little flower, I must go."

Cinnamon roused herself and stood, looking like she might need to potty. I snatched her up and said, "Is everything all right?"

A long pause, and then, "Zola is missing."

"What?" My stomach dropped.

"I need to take care of this." He opened the door and slipped through.

I opened my mouth to call after him but he'd disappeared, the hallway empty. Zola had been gone a lot lately. She hadn't explained much, just that she was doing a lot of work for Laurent, something to do with their ongoing investigation into the missing vampires.

I sprinted through the manor, Cinnamon bobbing in my arms. She squirmed against me, trying to get free. I took her down stairs and out the back door to do her business. The second she finished, I sprinted back upstairs and placed her in her crate. "Stay here, little boo. I'll be back," I said.

By the time I reached the landing, a group of nearly twenty vampires had gathered in the checkered entry. I recognized a few. A few of them stiffened, turning at my approach, their hungry eyes locked on me.

I ignored their reactions. If Zola was in trouble, I wanted to know. I descended the steps, racing down.

Laurent was in the middle, giving orders. Marco stood by his side, Vittorio too. I heard hushed snippets like "get in and get out," and "don't be reckless," and "trap," before those words cut off.

"What's happening?" I demanded. If anything happened to Zola... No. I couldn't consider it. I blinked, clearing my eyes.

Laurent's gaze fell upon me. "This does not concern you, little flower. Please, go upstairs." It wasn't an order, but a request, spoken softly. So unlike the way he'd just been speaking to everyone else, the way he used to speak to me.

The Blood Ruby (The Arcane Artifacts #2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara