Chapter 4: Backwards Time Period

I hope you have all been enjoying the story and thank you again for reading!!

'He said that it was not too far.' Jade thought, annoyed as she struggled not to yawn. The whole chase had tired her out, making her want nothing more than to go and take a nap. 'I want to ride on his shoulder, but I am scared that he might have the sudden urge to grab me again.'

She flickered her eyes over at Alan, who was much more interested in admiring the mark on his hand. 'He can't keep his eyes off the contract mark.'

Jade's cheeks heated up as she suddenly found herself being self-conscious. 'How can somebody be so happy about something that can cause their death?'

"You know I used to be able to give a woman my mate mark," Alan began to fill the silence. "It is a one in a lifetime thing. So beastmen needs to careful when they select the female that they wish to be with. Or they may end up in a situation where they might it threaten or used against them."

"Well," Alan paused, thinking about what he had said. "We are tools for them, but it is always good to get one who is either beautiful with an ugly personality or ugly with a decent personality."

"That's very sad," Jade said feeling anger about what he told her. "What's so special about those marks that they can use it against you?"

"If the female removes it, it will turn a beastman into a feral," Alan explained. "Outcast to everyone with only the company of ferals."

"And why would are they treated like that?" Jade asked when Alan did not respond, instead he looked her with faint smile. Jade bit the bottom of her lip as she wondered if Alan must have suffered the same way, she can only pray that his woman did not do something so cruel. She was about to say something when her ears picked up a noise.

Jade's attention diverted back to the path ahead of her when she heard the sound of people chatting in the distance. The noise caught Alan's attention too. He bit the bottom of his lip as he looked over at Jade and the way she began to pick on the pace.

"Unstable, irrational, cold-hearted is some of the things the traits that we are known for," Alan muttered as he watched Jade growing farther in the distance. Alan frown as he found himself eyeing her clothing.

'With those strange clothing, she has on will most likely catch the attention of some of the males,' Alan thought as the sudden need to take the woman away from the city grew stronger with each step she took. 'I do not know what to do. I wish to show her off and laugh at their stupid faces, but I also do not like the idea of them coming to her.'

While Alan was thinking about his choices not paying attention to the fact that they were now in view of the city in question. Jade's eyes lit up in joy at the sight of the large stone wall that was covering the view of the inside with two guards standing in front of the opening.

'There must not be too much trouble going on around here,' Jade assumed as she took notice of the way the guards were relaxing while talking to each other instead of being alert. 'I wonder what their hotel looks like.'