Chapter 14: Jade's history

I might have to post two days a week since my laptop broke. Sorry for the inconvenience.

"Also, you should know now zat they are not fond of being called 'female'," Angelika continued with her lecture that Maria had drilled in after ticking her off too much. "Woman is what they call adults and-"

Yuma was not paying attention to what she was saying. He was more focused on Jade's home as they approached it.

Jade's cob house was a little further out than the others since Rosette wanted her room to plant a garden that she used to always talk about when they were still in their world. The house was made with the same material as the others, but Jade went out of her way to make hers slightly different by finger-painting the walls and mixing flour with different fruits. It was a half-complete picture of a white cat lying in the meadow under a starry sky.

Yuma's heart began to pound hard against his chest as Angelika knocked on the door. She turned towards Yuma, ready to say something else, when she noticed that the beastman began to shake badly. The sight reminded Angelika of when she and her younger brother were just cubs, and he would try to confess to a woman he thought was pretty.

'He looked like he was going to pee himself,' Angelika reminisced, giggling. Placing her hand on Yuma's head, she rubbed it to calm him down. Yuma looked at her, confused.

"She was looking forward to you waking up ever since she learned zat you were still here," Angelika told him gently as the sound of footsteps stomping over there was over in their direction. "So do not worry about a zing. Also, remember what we had talked about."

The door slammed on, revealing a tick-off Jade, but all the anger washed away like water when she saw Yuma standing. "...Yuma?"

"H-Hey," Yuma stuttered, unsure what to say to her. So he began to ramble. "I am glad that you are doing so well! T-This place is really amazing. I honestly could not-"

Jade pulled the frantic man into a tight hug. The fear that gripped her had lessened a little; she glared at Angelika's fake smile. ".....Thanks for bringing him. No need to come over again."

"Your wel-"

Slam!

Angelika smirked amusingly at the closed door before shrugging it off and going to make her report. Inside the house, Jade was checking for any injuries on Yuma.

"Did she do anything to you? How about saying anything?" Jade asked in concern. "If she did, I swear to god."

Yuma zoned out, feeling warm inside from Jade's constant gentle touching. Enjoying the loving treatment that she was giving him. 'Ah, Wild City does work miracles.'

Warm hands had pressed on his face, snapping him back to reality. He looked at Jade's concerned yet impatient face. "Well?"

"No," Yuma lied before gaining the courage to kiss her on the lips, catching her by surprise. Yuma smiled lovingly at the woman he desired to be with. "Why would she when she was the one that helped me protect you?"

"She was telling the truth?" Jade asked, not believing it. Yuma nodded his head, looking shamefully at her.

"Unlike the other three that are strong, I am just a sheep. A weak, useless sheep," Yuma confessed what he had felt since he was young. "I can run, but I am not capable of fighting off any ferals that might try to get you. She was the only valuable option at the time."