Chapter 16

IT'S ONLY IN STORIES THAT ALL MAIN CHARACTERS WALK AWAY UNSCATHED, RIGHT? IF YOU THINK THAT, THEN THERE ARE AUTHORS YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT...

Unfortunately, from where he was, Mac had to go through the big hall of the mansion. Now that the fight had started, he was not so sure that the corridors will be empty. Murdoc had planned that: he lured Riley upstairs, knowing she would be the one to rescue the civilian. And he was sure that Mac would go after him as soon as he reached the maintenance room. Mac knew he should be waiting for backup, instead of going alone after his sworn foe but he couldn't help it: Riley was in danger, he would never forgive himself if something happened to her.

In his head, worst-case scenarios were being played over and over; Riley had been killed and he was devastated and had to announce it to Jack. His friend was crushed and everyone on the team eventually split up, never to see each other again. The burden of her death hovering them.

It crushed Mac's heart so much that he had to lean on the wall. He couldn't afford to have a panic attack right now, so many people were counting on him: Jack, Riley, Bozer even Matty and now this new kid, Alex, too. He tried to slow down his breathing, but his whole body was shaking, and he had trouble on calming himself down. He grabbed the stun gun laying on the floor, he didn't realize he had dropped in the first place. The cold part of the fire extinguisher helping him steady his hands. He always had someone to help him calm down; Riley, Bozer and Jack were always there for him and now he was alone.

"Hey buddy it's okay, you don't have to be perfect," Jack often said.

"Just let it out, you'll be better afterward," Riley would say.

"Just talk to me pal, Double-O-Boze's here to help," Bozer would add.

Imagining their voices had helped him regain a bit of control over his own body. It was time to fight his demons. Murdoc was part of them.

He proceeded slowly, he wasn't going to risk getting caught before he saved her, glancing behind him every second, trying to make the least noise as possible. He reached the entrance of the hall and cursed. He had lost so much time, down there, trying to calm down, that Murdoc had moved to the hall for his big show. About fifteen guards were there guarding Riley who was struggling to get free. Murdoc was at the center of the hall, whistling happily. Mac gathered his courage and showed up.

"Angus, old pal, hope you enjoyed my little surprise!" Murdoc grinned maniacally.

"Let her go! It's with me you got a problem."

"Nah, I'm going to keep her, she's got a real effect on you, you know?" seeing that Mac looked lost, he waved his phone, "a real show you gave me down there, pal!"

Mac always thought himself as a calm person but as he heard this, he lost all control. He threw himself at Murdoc, trying to hit him with his stun gun. They threw punch at each other for a while, none of them having the upper hand until Murdoc kicked Mac in the stomach, expulsing the air from his lung. He clung his stomach by reflex, dropping the stun gun. Murdoc took the opportunity to knock him to the ground. He then stood above him, grinning and aiming the stun gun at him. He was about to press the nozzle of the fire extinguisher when a loud voice growled.

"Get away from my kids, Murdoc."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, happy new year! hope you enjoyed this chapter!

AlyMcShizzle