Ch. 10: Hello Everyone

They were there, all of them.

As soon as Nneka took a step inside, they were there. The remaining 3 of what Javi said would be her adventure of 4. Elliot the man she met in Spain who happened to be amazing at drawing. Her substitute dentist, Kan. The man who made it all come true, Javi. And the last one, the chef who stood right behind her, Elijah.

"What's going on here?" She asked walking in.

Natalie followed quietly examining the situation. Nneka hadn't told anyone about any of this, because it was weird. A man you meet at a bar telling you you're about to go on a romantic journey. You assume he's either joking or...he's talking about himself.

But it was like things were set in motion.

Once everyone was settled in, Nneka looked around. The room was boring, like a meeting room. A window next to a brick wall. A small desk in the corner and a few chairs scattered around in the back, with only one seat occupied by the desk.

Natalie peaked at the men all around. Her curiosity landed on Kan and Javi, the only people she recognized. She leaned closer to Nneka and whispered, "Why's your dentist and the bartender here?"

Javi sitting down, flashed a dashing smile, and said, "Actually I own the building."

Which no one paid mind to at first, because the main question was looming over everyone's head.

"Did everyone get a letter?" Natalie asked.

Everyone pulled out theirs and the signature colour that their stamp showed. Elliot was red just like hers. Kan was yellow. Elijah was green. And Javi was purple, like the tip of his fingers.

"I'd like to know who sent them." Kan said. His clothes were very basic and neutral, beige.

"Yeah...you didn't—" Elliot began.

Nneka held her hands up. "I didn't send them. In fact, I brought backup."

"Backup?" Elijah asked.

"Yeah, who wouldn't?"

They guys looked around, they didn't. That was obvious.

After a few minutes of bickering about who sent it. The person who actually did finally stood up. His hand was in the air, and again a bright smile plastered on his face.

"I did."

Elijah stepped closer, "And how did you get our address?"

"Now we're asking the important questions," Natalia said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"It's actually not as hard as you think. Especially when you grow up comfortable."

He meant rich.

Javi was extremely rich.

"Look, you're all here for one simple reason and that reason alone." Javi pointed to Nneka, "her."

Nneka looked around before catching all eyes on her, "me?" she questioned. "I don't know what he's talking about." She lied.

"Sure you do, palm reading?"

Elliot tilted his head, laughing a little. "Palm reading?"

"Palm reading?" Kan repeated. He pushed past Elliot and stood before Javi. "So you're telling me, us. That because you read her hands one night, that we all have to witness whatever this?"

Javi nodded.

"Great, " Kan threw his head back and sighed. "I'm going home."

He only took one step before turning back to Javi.

"I know you're smarter than that."

"Excuse me?" he said.

"That's not the reason you're all here."

Kan stepped up, "And exactly what is?"

"Every single one of you..." he paused and added dramatic effect. "Almost died."

Everyone froze, but Natalie.

Natalie looked around the room.

They were all facing Javi, inwards, like a half circle. That how close they were.

Everyone looked around. Their bodies were still, yet their eyes wandered around.

Natalie spoke up. "It's true." She began, "She's had numerous occasions, but I don't get the relevance."

Nneka eyed for a quick moment, till Elliot raised his hand, " I almost got hit by a bus." he said.

Kan rolled his eyes, "everyone almost gets hit by a bus."

"Did you?" Natalie asked.

"No."

"I almost got hit by a car," Nneka answered.

Elliot smiled. He pushed his fingers together, "twins?"

She laughed.

Kan scoffed, looking away.

Javi's back was against the desk. He reached back grabbing a stack of folders from the drawer. The folder had the same colours as the stamp colours on the letter.

Javi pulled Kan's folder. He flipped through it, pretending to read it, since he already knew the answer. "According to my records, you...you almost drowned."

Kan tan face whited.

"Then, I'll say mine before It gets exposed," Elijah said. "I was hospitalized, the reason doesn't need to be disclosed."

Javi nodded, "of course."

"So what does this mean? Nneka and the blond almost got hit. The dentist couldn't swim—"

"I can swim." Kan interjected.

Natalie rolled her eyes, "And tall, dark and handsome, was hospitalized. And that's why we're all here?"

Nneka nodded, "Yeah, the logic isn't logic-ing."

"And you would absolutely be right. I just needed to grab your attention." Javi pointed to the chairs in the back. "Everyone grab one."

They took the chairs and put them in the order they were once in. Elijah, Natalie, Nneka, Kan and Elliot.

They pushed their chairs close to Javi as he leaned in.

"Do you believe in reincarnation?" he began. "Or the simplified version...soulmates?"

---

Comment, like and share