Ch. 22: Rain Rain, Save the Day

Everything seemed good.

From the sudden lip lock to the great food at their fingertips.

Food was definitely her love language. As the saying goes, the way to a human heart is through the stomach.

By the time they were finished, Javi checked his watch. The time, was almost 9 pm, and the ice cream shop nearby was getting ready to close.

"If we run now, we can probably make it." He said.

She nodded, but her body wasn't quite moving fast enough.

When they started running, she was behind him, holding herself together. Javi stopped, grabbed her hand about to rush towards the shop, but decided to stop.

It would take a little longer, but there was a supermarket nearby. And if they couldn't get it straight from the tap, they could make their own.

"Scratch that." He said.

"Huh? We're not getting ice cream?" she asked disappointed.

"No no...we are just somewhere else."

"Okay."

They went to the supermarkets and grabbed a small pint of simple vanilla bean ice cream, something simple that didn't create a time-consuming debate about which is best etc.

They got ice cream cones, waffle cones ones, cause the other ones tasted plasticity, plastic spoons and went to a park.

Javi took his jacket off and placed it over the wet bench that was covered from the rain earlier. He set it down, she sat down, and he opened the ice cream.

As he was doing so, Nneka opened her small purse and handed him some hand sanitizer. "Here." He smiled giving his hands out watching her squeeze a small bit on his hand, then on hers.

Javi smelled it, then rubbed it. "Strawberries," he said with a smile.

"Actually cherry blossom."

He chuckled, "My apologies."

Nneka opened the cones and handed him one as he scoped it as best as he could with the plastic spoon.

"I'm not sure if I should ask this cause it's about someone else."

He hands her her ice cream, "what's it about?"

"Elliot. Particularity, a feeling or an image."

"An image?" he closes the box and licks his desert.

She pushes her knees tightly together. "I know there are rules to dates, and that means no talking about other people, but I think you're the only person who can help me."

He nodded, "Alright...I'm listening."

"Have you ever like passed out and been like transported to another place, but your body is still there."

"Disassociation?"

"No, like you do things because they feel right with someone and then realize they're not the same person in your head. Like your memories are warps with a past life and present life."

He sneered, "You can see your past life."

"Yeah...kinda...yes...no....maybe so, I'm assuming cause you drew the same conclusion."

"Well..." he leaned in, "what have you seen so far?"

She sighed heavily shrinking, "Nothing too much, just flashing of faces that look identical, exact with different features like black hair instead of blond hair. Things like that."

"And with me...do you see anything?" Nneka shifted her body to face him. She squinted, staring at each and everything on his face. From the mole underneath his left eye to the outline of where the red hair changes colours.

"Nope...nothing." He nodded with a corner smile. "I guess later then."

"Probably. But besides that how are you?"

"Huh..." he was taken aback. "What do you mean?"

"I mean how are you? You probably know a lot about me with your little stalker files, but I don't know anything about you." "I don't know that much about you. I mean each life is different. Yes, the overall aura is the same, but you're likes, desires...all of that is different."

"Yet you knew I absolutely adore seafood."

He sighed throwing his head down and snickered. "Anyone with an internet connection could put that together. Not everything is written in the stars, you have to actually look it up."

"True." Nneka held her hand out as a few drops of water fell down. "I think it's starting to rain again."

Javi looked around. He searched his pocket as if that giant-sized umbrella had suddenly shrunk in size to be pocket-sized.

"I think I forgot it."

"What?" She held her hand above her head. "You forgot it?"

He nodded.

"It's fine." Nneka quickly packed up everything. "We can run for it."

"But—" he stopped. He watched as she grabbed everything and tugged at his jacket underneath him.

In her hands the ice cream supplies while holding his jacket out to him. "Let's go." "Oh...oh okay."

They ran.

Javi held the jacket as much as he could over the both of them as they ran back to his car, but it suddenly started pouring. As soon as they left the park, the rain became heavy.

Every few moments they would hide underneath an arch by whatever building allowed it to recuperate their energy, and then they were back to running.

It was fun.

They laughed rushing and hiding every few moments they had.

They were only a couple of blocks away when they stood station underneath a random apartment building.

Javi shook his jacket to maximize the amount of rain he could shake off. When done, he tried to squeeze even more out.

As he did it, Nneka pushed her wet hair to the side, but it was sticking to her face. Thankful that she didn't get braids just yet.

"Are you ready?" she asked him while he was squeezing her arms.

"Yeah." He threw it over them, and just as he was about to get started running, he slipped.

Javi fell back slowly trying to catch himself, but suddenly felt the support of a hand, her hand.

Nneka had dropped the ice cream supplies as she wrapped her arms around his waist, holding him up.

His leg was halfway up in the air, his eyes staring back at her surprised, just as she looked at him. They matched.

And in that moment, he felt sure, he felt okay enough to say it.

"I lied," he told her. "I can't see the future."

She smiled. Still holding him, she whispered smartly, "I figured."  

---

Hey guys, this is the real chapter 22, the other will be deleted later with the update. 

Comment, Like and Share