Chapter - 2

It has been a long time since I have reincarnated in this world, very long time... I didn't expect that it would be this boring to live in this world. Truly a primitive world yet advanced at the same time, it's hard to explain in words, but the development of this world is going in a different direction than the earth, which is not something out of the ordinary. But to me, it's a sad thing that the only thing in which humans and other races in this world are currently interested is power. Power to defend themselves against monsters and to dominate other nations.

In other words, magic and the arts are the only things that are developing at an extensive rate. Small and big nations are waging war with each other in order to show their dominance and increase their influence and military might. They are just trying to swallow the weaker nations around them. The conditions are similar to the world war in my previous world, and just as one might expect, only the goods and services related to war are being researched.

The magi-science (the science or laws behind the spells and engineering of magic products) is developing in the direction of destruction and power. I mean, seriously. In the past two hundred years, they haven't even bothered to make something entertaining. Even back on earth during the world war, they were trying to find a way to keep themselves entertained. In this world, though. It's like the word entertainment doesn't exist.

What bad luck—that is what I thought when I finally noticed the situation. I have been waiting for the last hundred or so years, having only one wish: to develop a way to pass time and make it popular. Popular enough to make others interested in creating something similar, I have been pulling the strings from behind by giving them (merchants) ideas away for free. A game, novel, manga, drama (play), or even a variety of good food would do, but they have to start the war at this time. I mean, aren't monsters and Veldora enough?

Ah, speaking of him, Veldora might be the reason they have the time to start a war. Veldora didn't disappoint me—not even a bit.

He is so good at the things that he does. It's only been less than two hundred years, and the Storm Dragon Veldora has managed to die in his big sister's hands. This also gives the others, mainly humans, the opportunity to try and increase their power so that they can fend off Veldora and monsters if they attack again.

Even though Veldora didn't harm any human city in particular and was just passing by, the terror that he has among human nations is entirely something else. The only cities he has ever accidentally destroyed were the empty ones, without any sign of life, but the range of destruction was entirely something else.

Should I say as expected of Veldora?

He never fails to amaze me in the wrong way. 

That's all about Veldora for now.

Now, let's talk about me. I mean, man... I would have evolved into a true demon lord a long time ago—to be exact, only seven years after reincarnation—but I didn't. Reason? You might be thinking of a lack of soul. If yes, then you are wrong. I mean, at that time, there was another reason, which was much harder to fulfill than the required number of souls.

At first, my luck was not bad. The place where I reincarnated was filled with strong monsters, so it was an easy task to improve my strength. So, from a roughly B-rank slime to close to an S-rank, it didn't take that much time at all—around seven years. After that, it became hard to find strong monsters, so I changed my focus and started to work on magic and skills.

Until I visited a village full of dead bodies—some were half eaten, some were missing limbs—the sight made me want to puke, but as I'm now a slime, I was able to resist the feeling.

After analyzing the situation, I came to the conclusion that it was not the work of any normal monster, but most probably a magic born like me.

The bodies were only half eaten, and some were not even touched. Only the monster who didn't need any food to survive would leave the bodies behind, but I was wrong.