▸ BROKEN FLOAT

BROKEN FLOAT

BROKEN FLOAT

Thursday the 21st of September

Percy takes a pot of blue paint and stands beside me. I trail the paint brush across the cardboard and withhold the sigh desperately wanting to escape. Despite the fact we need more help, Percy does the opposite.

"Hi, Charlie."

"Hey, Percy."

Something cold splatters across my cheek and into my hair. I shoot him a glare and he innocently smiles despite holding the paint brush in the air.

"Oh, did I get you? I'm sorry."

"Samantha will skin you alive if you ruin this float."

"She doesn't scare me." He chuckles.

"You should be very afraid, especially if she's holding a clipboard and looking for volunteers."

Percy pokes my cheek with the paintbrush, and I just glare because I won't give into his childish antics. He turns to the float and grumbles.

"You're no fun, Charlie."

"Don't blame me, you're the one that suggested this idea. Jewels would have placed two chairs on the float since she can only be the centre of attention."

"But I would be sitting beside her, and I'd rather have some water to toss her into if she gets too close." He chuckles.

Samantha appears with shredded paper and sticks it on the wet paint.

"Do you have a dress for the Homecoming yet?"

"I bought this cute purple dress." Percy says in a high pitch voice, which makes Samantha roll her eyes.

"I was thinking about stay at home and eating pizza."

"We're going shopping after school, come with us."

"I have this gigantic float to paint."

"We're meeting out the front after school. I'll see you there." She smiles as she bounds away.

I look at Percy and frowns.

"Samantha has been like that her entire life." Percy laughs.

"Can you imagine her in a college interview?"

"She'd be running the school."

Something crunches and we spin around to find Jewels sprawled across the boat and the fountain broken.

"Someone didn't do this right otherwise it wouldn't have broken." Her eyes narrow on me and I roll my eyes.