▸VISIT

VISIT

VISIT

January 2022

Ashton's cries blares through the monitor mid-shower. I rinse the shampoo out of my hair and wring the water out before stepping onto the floormat. I wrap a towel around my torso and hurry into the bedroom to see what's wrong.

I cradle him to my chest and his cries turn into whimpers as I rock him. I kiss his head and stroke his soft pink cheek.

"Hi baby, it's okay."

His cries break my heart and it's hard to leave him alone. I feel like the worst parent when he screams but this is how babies communicate with you.

"Mummy needed a shower after you puked all over me." I sigh. "Lucky for us, Daddy surprised us by doing the laundry this morning."

Ashton yawns, so I place him in the bassinet and gently rock it until he falls back asleep. Reflux and sleep regression is not a fun phase.

"Thank goodness." I sigh.

I grab the monitor from the bathroom and wander to the kitchen. Just as I reach the fridge, the doorbell rings and I internally groan. My stomach grumbles but I muster up the energy to answer the door.

"Hi, Charlie." Samantha waves.

"Hey Samantha, this is certainly a surprise."

"Your father gave me your address, I hope that's okay."

"Um, sure." I nod.

I should update him on the people I no longer talk to. He probably remembers Samantha from high school because I always used the excuse of staying at her house as a cover to spend time with Noah. She would hate me even more if she knew that.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I ask.

"I thought a catch-up was in need since we haven't seen each other in a while."

I didn't think I would see her again after the announcement of our marriage.

"Okay?"

"Can I come in?"

Despite the worry that spikes in me, I step aside so she can enter the house. I'm thankful Noah cleaned the house this morning and that I've showered. It shouldn't matter, but it does to me.

"What have you been up to?"

"I've spent the last three months in Europe." She grins. "Absolutely beautiful, more than I could ever expect. The museums, the food, and the company."

"Sounds like fun." I smile.

Ashton's cries come through the monitor and it startles us both. I race up the stairs and scoop him up. His grizzles don't stop when I rock him, so I grab a nursing blanket from the drawer and head back.