▸SURPRISES

SURPRISES

SURPRISES

MARCH 2024

Ashton squeals with happiness as he runs into the living room. Noah scoops him up and wrangles a comb through his wet brown hair. He kisses his cheek before setting him free to run around. He runs around in circles before bouncing into the side of the couch. He erupts with laughter and raises his arms.

"Mummy, up." He bounces on his toes and his blue eyes sparkle with happiness.

I lift him onto the couch and he crawls onto my chest and snuggles in. I wrap my arms around his body and squish him closer. I smother him in kisses and tickle his sides. He squirms under my grip and his cute laughter fills the room.

"I love you so much, my little man."

My phone buzzes with an incoming call from Maddison. I answer it and her face appears on the screen. Ashton turns around and I angle the phone so we're both in view.

"Hi, Maddison." I smile.

"Heya! Ashton, you're too cute today. I wish I could give you a squishy cuddle." She pouts.

"Perhaps we can come and visit you soon! I would love for the rest of my family to meet Ashton." I smile.

"Please come and visit any time you can."

"Pray for me." I chuckle. "It's funny you called, I was going to ring after Ashton's bedtime."

"Oh, you were?" Maddison bites her lip to contain her emotions.

I glance at Noah who's packing away Ashton's toys in the lounge room.

"We weren't sure about telling people because it's so early, but I'm pregnant."

"Ahhh." She squeals which makes Ashton wince. "I'm so excited for you! Congratulations. Now you have to come and visit me before you're too pregnant to travel."

"I will do my best to convince Noah."

He shakes his head and sighs.

"We can go shopping for baby things! Ugh, it'll be so much fun!"

"Calm down." I chuckle. "I still have a long way to go and we kept all of Ashton's things."

"I hope you have a little girl next." She grins.

"I would love a mini-me, but I'll be happy with a healthy baby."

"Of course." She nods.

"Before I completely derail your phone call... Is there something you wanted to talk about?"

Maddison bites on her lower lip and fiddles with her blonde hair.

"Maddison!"

"It's um, don't be mad and we're really happy..."