▸[PART EIGHTEEN] HOUSE

[PART EIGHTEEN] HOUSE

N:35 C:29 A:8 H:6 L:4
November 2029

Every time I remove a brown cardboard box from the horde, it feels like it triples. I thought moving would be fun but it's been a painful transition of hurting my children, throwing out the junk I want to horde, and trying to bring order to our new house.

I wish I could slip back through time and re-do the moment Noah and I first walked into the house with moving boxes or the time we brought Ashton home from the hospital. Instead, I'm faced with boxes and screaming children.

We've moved a couple of times before and I survived, I can do this!

I inhale a deep breath and tackle another box. It's very heavy, so I leave it be. I step to the side and grab another box which is semi-light. A smile spreads across my lips when I see the title.

"Mumma is having a nice long shower tonight." I grin.

I head towards the stairs and gasp as something stabs me in the foot. A piece of yellow lego tumbles to the floor and I groan. I told Noah we shouldn't buy that for this very reason.

"Ashton, I told you to put your toys away!" I shout.

I want to add 'I'm going to throw all your things into the bin' but since he's still upset about the move, I let it slide. My foot throbs as I tackle the stairs but the fact I've got my bathroom products makes things better.

Music dances down the hallway from Lydia's room, Hunter is roaring as he plays with his dinosaurs and I don't want to know what Ashton's doing.

I place the box on the bed and rip it open. All of my bathroom products from shampoo's, body wash, raisers and toothbrush is in here. Thank goodness, I'm done with the kiddy stuff. I take the box into the bathroom and put the items away.

It's only when I get to the tampons that I freeze. I wander into the bedroom and check my phone. Crap. With the stress of moving, trying to organise the children with school and settling them into the house, I forgot about my period.

The blue box of pregnancy tests comes into view and I bite my lip. Noah and I tried for a couple of months but we were unsuccessful and decided three was enough for us. There's no way I can be pregnant.

My stomach flutters and my heart bounds. I've had three children, I think I'd know if I'm expecting another one. Shaking my head, I take the box and throw it into the bin. One slips out of the bin and clatters against the floor.

"This is either fate or some crap throwing skills," I mutter to myself.

What's the harm in taking one test? Once I see the negative line, I can put my curious mind to rest and at least I wouldn't be throwing perfectly good tests into the bin. I take the test and head to the toilet.