Chapter 6 • New Start •

Chapter 6New Start

Anna stood by the door with a devious smile on her face. Oh, how I wanted to smack her right now.

"Could you give us a moment?", I asked her.

"Sure, Ms. Nelson", she smirked before backing out of the door leaving me and Nate alone once again.

"What the hell, Nate!? Don't you know who that is?", I shieked.

"Yes, my new assistant", he shrugged nonchalantly.

"No! She's my ex-best friend that ruined love for me! Why would you hire her!?", I practically yelled.

"Because I needed an assistant. What's your problem though? It happened years ago. Get over it"

I stared at Nate shocked at the bullsh*t coming out of his mouth. How could he tell me something like that? Unbelievable.

"We are partners, Nate. Hiring and firing is discussed and agreed with each other. You can't just hire someone without me knowing! And Anna at that. Don't you care about my feelings?"

"It's not like you ever cared about mine", he murmured, "Look, Bec, I already hired her I can't just fire her without giving her a chance. So please, plus your personal life is not suppose to be clashed with business", he patted my shoulder.

I was fuming. Nate can't be serious. No, I won't accept this. "You know what, Nate? You're so right. I won't mix personal life with business", with that I stormed out of the room.

•••

It's two weeks since Anna was hired as Nate's new personal assistant. Seeing her everyday has been hell for me. I've been thinking about what Nate said about getting over it.

It hurt that he just dismissed my feelings but he's right. I should get over what pain the past has caused me. It has been six years. I need to stop isolating myself from relationships. I've decided to start fresh. So I've made a decision that would probably change my life and put a dent in me and Nate's friendship.

With that said and done I picked up the blue folder from my desk and made my way to Nate's office. I knocked three times then pushed the door open.

I expected to see Nate sitting behind his desk. What I didn't expect was Anne straddling his hips forcing her tongue down his throat. It was a good idea to not eat any breakfast this morning.

A few seconds later they noticed my presense. I kept my expression blank and void of any emotion. Anna hurried to get off of Nate's lap and tried to make herself look more presentable as if she wasn't just tongue wrestling her boss.

"Rebecca...", Nate stammered out in his shocked state.

"Anna, get out", I ordered.

She didn't have to be told twice and I didn't miss the triumphed smile and wink she sent me as she brushed pass me.

When the door closed I took out the contents of the folder and rested them on Nate's desk. "Sign these please", I said in a soft voice.

"What's this?", he asked as he picked up the contact.

"Just sign it, Nate", I pleaded. I didn't care if I sounded pathetic but the sooner he signs the sooner I get the hell out of here.

"A separation contract? What's this about, Rebecca?", he asked with an edge to his voice.

"Well you were right when you told me to get over my past and not to clash my personal life with my business life. So I've come to the conclusion that I am starting over and do not want to breathe the same air as Anna or work with someone that does things without me knowing or doesn't even consider my feelings. So I want Miller & Nelson Co. to be Miller Co. and Nelson Co. I am taking my half of the company and building it from there. We would no longer be partners. We'll both have different companies. With that done I would not have to deal with irrelevant people in my life so I'm starting fresh. Oh, and the merge with Luke is not terminated it's just that I won't be in it just you and him", I finalized.