The Joker's bullshit

Mila sat at the bar area of the club. She felt lucky that not many people were there, it was pretty empty with just about 8 or 10 people scattered all about.

She sat with a drink in one hand and her clown doll in the other. She studied it, smiling faintly at the comfort it provided.

"Puddin?" She heard her mothers faint voice from afar and turned to face her.

"I thought you called The Joker that," Mila said.

"I did, but I love your dad and I love you," Harley said as she stood in front of Mila now. She noticed Mila holding something in her hand.

"Whatcha got there?" Harley asked as she tilted her head to the side, trying to get a better look. Mila brought the doll up and chuckled.

"This is my little doll. I've had it since forever. I think....you gave it to me. It's been my protector, my only friend. I rely on it for comfort." Mila said with a sigh. "I know that's unhealthy but..."
"You're perfectly normal." Harley interrupted.

Mila sighed.

"Normal? Of course we are." The Joker's voice was heard behind Harley. He stepped closer and looked down at the doll in Mila's hand. His eyes softened as he remembered how he'd lay the clown down on Mila's tiny body as the newborn had slept.

In those days....things were simple.

"We are far from normal, Mila." The Joker spoke. He looked right into her eyes. "Or maybe we are the normal ones, and all the worlds crazy. Orrrrr we are the crazy ones and all the world is normal." The Joker cupped Mila's cheeks. "We just might be a family of crazy clowns." He chuckled.

Mila smiled. "You can't inherit crazy, dad."

Harley giggled at this. "She's got a point puddin, both of us weren't born this way."

Mila sighed as she broke free from the Joker. She sat back down and downed her drink.

"Anyway, not like I have a choice anymore. I'm screwed. I can't go back home, I can't go to work. I'm now a wanted criminal. Oh look dad! I guess you can inherit an itsy bit of crazy," Mila laughed.

The Joker laughed his signature laugh and sat next to her.

"Well, now, we can continue where we left off." He said in a more serious manner.

"What do you mean puddin?" Harley asked confused. "It's been 22 years..."

"We can go back to doing whatever the hell we had been doing Harls, right before batman ruined us." The Joker replied.

"Wait. What exactly did you do before all this?" Mila asked.

"Oh puddin, we did it all! We had the world!" Harley exclaimed.

"That's right! We had money, power... everything." The Joker said with stars in his eyes. "Speaking of...I got Frost to talk on the mansion, the deals, the cars. We have them all baby, and no one suspects a thing." The Joker said to Harley as he cupped her cheeks, kissing her gently.

Mila smiled at this.

"Wait, did you say mansion?" Mila asked. "Cars?...Exactly what kinda life did you lead?"

"A wealthy one. I was, and am, a pretty big deal. I owned this town, Mila. And you, when you were born, were my sole reason to continue breathing and pouring my efforts into it. I used my associates to bring in money, to continue this lavish lifestyle I had built." The Joker answered.

"Your dad was so happy when you were born Mila." Harley said with a smile.

"Of course! And why wouldn't I be? It was time to add to our brood, to have a crazy little clown succeed me and keep my legacy going! What else do I have then if I don't have a reputation which succeeds me long after I'm worm food?" The Joker replied, pointing to Mila.

Mila nodded. "I can understand that."

Harley sighed as she looked away from the two. The Joker was so good at bullshitting, even to his own daughter apparently.

"Oh no Harley, this won't do." The Joker looked sternly at Harley.

" The Joker looked sternly at Harley

"Puddin, now you needa listen. This is none of our faults!" Harley said as she stepped away from him. He just kept inching towards her.

"Then why haven't you had this problem before?" The Joker asked.

"Problem? PROBLEM?! Puddin this is your baby!" Harley exclaimed.

"And, are you sure about that?" The Joker asked as he cocked an invisible brow. Harley gasped and stomped away from him.

For him to even question her loyalty was too much. Harley would endure beatings, undeserved slaps and smacks, verbal and emotional abuse at his hands. Hell, he'd even tried to kill her a few times! And somewhere deeeeep inside her, she could almost hear Harleen's voice reasoning with her to let go of him, to leave this sick and twisted man alone.

But she just couldn't. It didn't feel right.

She sat on the bed, clutching onto the pregnancy test, silently sobbing. She had allowed for this to happen, somehow. She was bringing a baby into her fast life, her dangerous world filled with dangerous people. Her heart hurt for the child, knowing its black fate. Knowing the kind of father this child had, what a cursed little thing!

Her sobs grew louder, so loud and uncontrollable that she didn't even hear the Joker walk in. He was silent, watching her pour out her troubled thoughts through tears. She looked inconsolable. He had never seen her like this, the normally sexy, cool, confident woman he had known was a mess. And he had caused it. He felt a hint of pride at his control over her but he mostly felt guilt.

And that was a feeling he wasn't accustomed to.

He sat next to her and brought her head down to his chest, stroking her hair. He looked down in her hands as she held the positive pregnancy test.

And as each second passed, he thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad.